So, you have a Warranty?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Justrucking2, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I think that is actually the problem. Most shops see those minor issues and they think to themselves this is another broke, cheap ### owner operator, like every other owner operator, who will not want to pay for that to also be fixed. And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt that they might spot a potential problem.

The correct thing for that mechanic/shop to do would be to call the owner and say "hey, we found some issues with your wire harness that need some attention or you're gonna have electrical issues soon - do you want us to fix that also?". But they don't.

There's only one shop I will use. They fix things right the first time but I only use them sparingly as they charge $135 an hour. It's the local Thompson CAT house in Manchester, TN. They know me I have bought filters and parts for years. They have inframed my motor and done a few other minor things to it.

I let them do motor work that's over my head where I'm unsure of what to do. One time when I was using my Pac-brake on the high and or medium setting it was just fluttering and making a weird noise. The lowest setting seemed to work ok but that one is useless for jaking as is the mid setting. So I took it to CAT they pulled the valve covers and discovered 1 broken spring on a pac-brake. All 6 brand new springs, or maybe it had 12 springs I can't remember, only cost about $20 and the service manager at that time, Ronnie, told me he went ahead and replaced all 6 (or 12?) for me since they had the covers off already and the springs were so cheap.

He told me if they had me expensive he would have called and asked if I wanted all 6 replaced. The total bill came to about $200 which was mostly labor/tax and my jakes worked a-ok again. THAT is how a professional shop handles these kind of issues. That is the kind of thing you don't get in 99% of the shops out here and it's such a small thing too and so easy to do to make for a happy customer. Shops charging $65-$75 an hour billing double and triple time on jobs, not standing behind their work, billing you again for more of the screwed up work. Those kind of sharks will bleed you penniless fast. Those kind of shops, 99% of the shops out here, would have replaced the 1 spring and be done with it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    SAR, dunchues, HopeOverMope and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    True. I was refering more to those trucks that have so many potential problems that you'd forever be on the phone to get approval because every time you fix something, you spot 3 more issues. A guy needs to know when to put the blinders on when dealing with certain trucks/customers lol. I tend to be pretty picky with stuff and its nice working for a fleet. I see something wrong I just fix it without having to get approval (unless its an expensive fix). Had a callout for a simple oil change yesterday and that turned into an oil change, belt, tensioner and fan hub.

SAR, Tug Toy and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    LOL! Same here, I found a leaky sensor buried up behind the main engine harness up at the top of the head. Same deal, a shop would have ignored it. I am removing parts and pieces and keep finding things to fix. Hell, I still haven't even gotten to the original issue, removing the Air Compressor. Almost there... Just came in to warm up.

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Leak is from the Jake brake harness... I called Cummins up the street, they have the needed O-rings in stock... Now I have to pop the top of the motor, which means going over to the other side of the motor to remove the darn intake. Still not to the compressor yet.

Tug Toy and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I thought gliders weren’t allowed in Canada...?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There are tons of gliders up here.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I meant to say Ontario and Quebec......

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    There are glider shops in Ontario...

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Just came back in, still have yet to get to the compressor... Just dropped another couple of hundred with Cummins for more parts. Gaskets, sensor, hose, clamps, etc... Finding all sorts of goodies under the hood. I'm anal, what can I say.

Oh, like others have truthfully stated, a shop would have, in most cases, ignored everything I have found. Remember that when you go in for that "warranty" work. ;-)

JoeyJunk, Tug Toy and Cat sdp Thank this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A new "truck" has 7 years for the original purchaser from the manufacturer. A rolling glider sold from peterbilt to any builder is considered a part, not a vehicle. Whoever puts it together becomes the manufacturer. The 7 year thing is an emissions exemption for all new vehicles. And emissions in Ontario go by the year of the chassis, not the engine year. So I'm not sure what happens at year 8. Maybe licence it in another province where there is no required emission test in order to get irp plates.

Google 12 ga customs. They are building Pete and kw now. St catharines freightliner has been doing fl with 12.7 detroits for a while now. So far these are the only 2 places I've found that build them. I'd like to get my hands on one before our stupid government closes the door on them. They are expensive, more than a new epa truck, but should run forever and without issue you know the deal

rank, Justrucking2 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.