So you wanna haul livestock?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jake The Bullhauler, Mar 13, 2013.

1. krlaborer

krlaborer Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    south jersey
    you go super trucker and may god keep you safe always,amen!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Could / would you explain how the weight works? I spoke with a live stock hauler a few years back, was going to go to work for him but it didn't happen, anyway, He explained how you load heavy because some of that weight is lost by passing manure and urine during transit, in other words there's a science to it..

4. Jake The Bullhauler

Jake The Bullhauler Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Paris, TX
    It's called shrink. The cattle are sold on what the delivery weight will be. Say I load 60,000 lbs the seller and buyer will shrink them 2% and that's the pay weight. On average in winter you can bet on 2000 to 2500 pound loss in transit. In summer 3 to 4000 depending on heat And stress.

MJ1657, HwyPrsnr, LaBubba and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Thats trucking in general, IMO. Or at least how I have always ran no matter what type of trailer I was pulling. I do flatbed now and as soon as I finish one load there is another ready for me as soon as I say I am ready. All the miles I can physically handle,.. plus a few more from time to time.

I hear guys whine about being asked to run more than 400 mi a day. Stuck out on the road for up to 2 weeks. Such a travesty (Sarcasm). I personally try to average at least 700+ a day to get the kind of paychecks I like. I can be home every 2 weeks if I choose,.. but I prefer 4 - 6 weeks out with 5 - 7 days home. Works out pretty nice.

Not all companies operate that way. This business is about logistics. If you cant keep that left door shut and lay down the miles, you wont survive,.. or just barely if you do at all. Those are typically the people who have complaints about who they work for. Personally, I dont think they would be happy anywhere. They may or may not understand that they just arent cut out for trucking. This industry will not adapt to us,.. we need to be able to adapt and learn how to work it to our advantage.

I plan to retire while I am still young enough to enjoy it. That means working harder now while I am still in good health to do it. I dont want to be 70 yrs old scraping by, wondering where my life (And Money) went.

Trucking is a job,.. its work. I think newbies come into it with the misconception that all they have to do is drive. Driving is the easy part,.. LOL

Hurst

LaBubba, Passin Thru, Logan76 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I figured you all had someway to figure that out.

7. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Oklahoma City Pietro has well over 20 bull wagons resting in the parking lot when I got up.

8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It shouldn't be that way. With all of the regulations and responsibilities for safety placed on the shoulders of the driver, a DECENT living should be earned running 400 miles (8 hours) per day, 5 days per week. If a driver chooses to max out their 70, that extra driving should be overtime pay.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  9. jodyhpd628

jodyhpd628 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Ft Worth, Tx
    Thanks for the post. it brings back good memories.

10. 7.3 cowboy

7.3 cowboy Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    How are you hauling for hire on farm tags? I take it texas is different from missouri in that aspect?

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I can live just fine on 400 mi a day at the company I am with. But I have ambitions that go beyond driving a truck everyday, so I push it to the max and my paychecks reflect my efforts.

If your fine with 400 mi a day then do just that. I just think its humorous that those who whine about not having enough, are not willing to work harder to achieve what they want. They want to be paid more for doing less. If you can work smarter I'm sure they could figure something out. But then, if they were that educated I dont think they would be in trucking in the first place. Trucking (IMO) has more to do with common sense and experience then anything else. Some have it,.. some dont.

windsmith and ECT379 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.