So you wanna haul livestock?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jake The Bullhauler, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    They've kinda gotten away from those water spray systems, a hot load of hogs plus water turns the inside of the trailer into a sauna, and they were losing more hogs from that, hogs can't handle heat very well or stress either.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nodak63

nodak63 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Haul all the horses to slaughter you want. At least they're being utilized instead of just being destroyed........

4. cableclown

cableclown Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    MN
    Yeah you might find it mixed in with your beef.

5. cableclown

cableclown Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    MN
    I was wondering the same thing...........

6. nodak63

nodak63 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Not likely, we raise beef cattle and eat our own.......

7. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Hated hauling horses, tear up an aluminum trailer kicking and top heavy. Pigs, stink like hell, run between your legs and never do what you want them to. Cows depend on where you load them. Bovina feeders is a perfect load facility, designed by a woman named Dr Temple Grandin who was Autistic. It has curved chutes and pens. Cows will come off a trailer easily. Would'nt you? We used whips to handle them but we never touched them with the whip, just pop it. You have to give a cow the time to think, her brain is the size of a walnut. It's a hot dirty stinky job and you smell like money all the time, gets in your skin. Bull hauling isn't for everyone. I worked for Karler Packing in Albuquerque. Leave Abq, go to Cortez and Durango, back to Abq for morning kill. Arrive 0300, sleep til 0800, pickup load of swinging to LA, 18 hr to LA, sleep til receiver unloaded and gp load a load of frozen food and sleep 8-9 hr, 18 hr to ABQ but would sleep 8 outside ABQ pickup cattle trailer and go to San Antonio TX for a load. I did'nt know what day it was most of the time and slept irregular hours most days and planted logbook trees from ABQ to LA. Sure was good money. If you want to load sheep, you stand back and yell, "They're gettin away!" and they will all run into your trailer.

8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    And 400 miles a day, I ran 130 K a year and averaged around 500 a day running from BALT-SEA. When you haul cattle, you drive like you ahve an egg under your foot all the time. When coming to curves you can tap the brakes to wake them up. Horsemeat is goo! I don't like cat too much, stringy, and dog is ok. Dead puppies are no fun.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. Big_Perv93

Big_Perv93 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Joplin, MO
    Their gettin' away!!!!! HaHa

10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

sooooo what happened to the OP????

11. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I banned him

Just kidding. I don't know. I'm guessing he's been busy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.