So You Want To Drive a Truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by milesandmilesofroad, Oct 9, 2013.

1. milesandmilesofroad

milesandmilesofroad Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Well isn't that special? You want to do the one job in America that so many will tell you is beneath them, yet when they need a job, they come a knockin in our industry. Seriously, I don't know what your expectations are but after I'm done, you may want to run the other way, because I'm about to drop a load of reality on your loading dock.

First, if you really believe anything any recruiter tells you, your putting faith in the wrong basket!!! Recruiters are sales people and they get paid to recruit you!!! If your a trucking school student, these idiots will come to visit your school, and if you think they are coming there to help you, your wrong future good buddy, they're coming to generate commissions for themselves and referral fees for the school.

Now if you make it through school and get that CDL, you get an opportunity to train over the road for weeks with someone who is getting paid to train you and a bonus at the end, if you pass the hiring road test.

oh wait, didn't they tell you that??? Yes, you have to take a final skills test to get hired on for that job you've just spent weeks running around the country for $240.00 to $350.00 before taxes and deductions. Yea, you may have enough $$$ during the 20,000 miles training to eat, do laundry, and send a few dollars home to momma to pay all those bills that keep piling up.

ok so now you got the job, now your in for what is called work. Your life will now consist of driving, loading, unloading, route planning, trying to maneuver a big rig or the biggest straight truck you will ever see down the road. You might think about leaving your nice street clothes at home because you won't have much time to go out and party, your running the road weeks in and weeks out for cpm pay, which is cents per mile. It's like a dollar bill.

you run all over the place and a dollar is generated from your efforts, this is referred to as revenue to the truck and this goes to your boss, the big trucking company that allows you to call yourself a trucker. Then money comes out of that dollar to keep your truck rolling along with all the other gerbals and the 22 cents to 28 cents or whatever your getting to keep, is your cpm, cents per mile pay. Now if your getting 28 cpm, for every 1000 miles you drive, you get to earn $280.00. Huge difference between reality and the bull doozies your recruiter told you you could earn.

oh yea lets talk about home time. Hey your getting 1 day off for every week out, woo hoo let's blow our air horn for that. Well what does this mean exactly. It doesn't mean that your driving six days and getting one day off a week.

it means that when you get time off, you have generated days off based on how long you've been out. So to get a full week of, you need to roll 7 weeks straight, so at 7 days a week, that's 49 straight days of work to get a week off.

most recruiters will you that your out 3 weeks and off 1 week, now the problem with this scenario is that in three weeks, you've only generated 3 days!!! so now let's say your driver manager tells you take this load to Chicago and I will get you three days off, so now your thinking cool, I get to go home after taking this load to Chicago, and you drop the load and get ready to go home. Well the problem is that lets say you live 1250 miles from Chicago and your next load is in Indianapolis. Do you really think your going home??? Your three days off will be sitting at a truck stop in Chicago or somewhere between Chicago and Indianapolis.

no company is going to let you dead head 1250 miles which means 1250 non paid miles, fuel, wear and tear, just so you can go home for 72 hours??? Not happening unless you own the truck and if you own or lease to own your truck, agree you really gong to blow through money to go that far home for 72 hours???

trucking is a good job and good career for those who don't go through life with blinders on!!! it's a job and a paycheck, that's it.

what makes me qualified? 44 years, 4.2 million miles and only having been with two companies in 44 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Off-n-on

Off-n-on Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Phila, PA
    Just like anything else you'll never get rich working for someone else. Sure money isn't everything but in the long run you'll be tired and sore and burned out with no life beyond trucking if you're OTR. Not until you're almost ready to drop dead in retirement and finally get that rv. I'm off-n-on for a reason. Trucking is not my preferred choice of life. When I succeed at what I really want to do it'll be good riddance to this hypocrisy laden industry. Ill only haul for myself at that point.

blairandgretchen and loves2truck Thank this.
  4. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Nooooo! Say it isn't so! It's supposed to be just roaming around freely like Sonny & Will used to do. And go wherever you want!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Why stay 44 years again?

6. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    Bitter much?
    I have worked many jobs over the years and its always the same lots of hours and crappy pay. While i agree that recruiters lie a lot we the drivers should do our own homework. It seems that the old timer truck drivers think that its a great world on the other side where you can make the same working at McDonalds as you do over the road. I worked as a supervisor in a call center and worked over 100 hours a week and made about 38k that year. I will gladly take a job where i make about 30-40k when I work 70 a week.

7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    To the OP not doubting your experience , but my story sure is different. Started as teen on a dairy farm owned by family, taught to drive by an uncle in the 60's , after Vietnam, drove a dump til I got on with a company running teams to the coast and northwest. Did that for almost 3 years then went to work for a fast food distributor and stayed there for 33 years. Retired in 2011, loved every minute of my career too. But you are right , trucking can be a very demanding and lonely job , if a person makes the decision to make it that way. Sure glad I didn't.

8. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I think he told it like it is and straight forward.. he did say in the second to last paragraph that it can be a good Jon if you don't have blinders on..

The thing to realize and a hard pill to swallow for in newbies.. is that until we have a couple to few years into it we don't know t if we will or are going to be successful..

I know.. many, many many will disagree with me on that.. pretty much all the drivers with over 6 months and under three years..

But, just like any career change in any field of work.. it takes time to get established and settled into the career.. do not confuse getting a weekly pay check with being established and settled into any career and especially tricking...

There are many things beyond ones control in trucking that can ruin ones career..

A few years ago.. back In 2009.. I think it was.. right before Christmas a ladge company closed over notht.. leaving drivers stranded all over the country.. they were told to drive there trucks to whatever place znd turn them over... If they did not and attended to drive the trucks home they could be charged with Stealing the truck... Also.. the fuel cards had already been cancelled.. drivers who relied on comdat cards for there pay were sol..

There were hundreds of drivers that woke up to find they were out a job and stranded...

I don't remember the company.. but it was a fairly big company that red New drivers...

9. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Come on now, dance for the biscuit. Were a mess. Friday drivers are going to block the DC beltway. What will that prove. Vote, the cancer out. I don't go politics. If fuel was not so high My Trucks would be there. I just can't afford it. We need to take a hard look into America.

10. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Quote {There are many things beyond ones control in trucking that can ruin ones career..

A few years ago.. back In 2009.. I think it was.. right before Christmas a ladge company closed over notht.. leaving drivers stranded all over the country.. they were told to drive there trucks to whatever place znd turn them over... If they did not and attended to drive the trucks home they could be charged with Stealing the truck... Also.. the fuel cards had already been cancelled.. drivers who relied on comdat cards for there pay were sol..

There were hundreds of drivers that woke up to find they were out a job and stranded...

I don't remember the company.. but it was a fairly big company that red New drive} Quote

These 2 statements I can't get on boardwith....the 1st one , being the only thing and I mean the only thing that you as a driver DO NOT have control over is where your dispatcher sends you...even then you have some control over that you can only run what your HOS will allow...... You the driver are in complete control of each and everything that goes on...even as to whether or not the truck even moves (citing a safety issue here). Drivers have always had this....some (read most) are often afraid to exercise it , sans loosing their jobs. Hence we are where we are today...Low pay/miles , sorry/poorly maintained equipment , very little respect from employers/shippers/receivers. The control is in your hands...always has been just exercise it.

The second thing......that example of the company going out of business may be true....but you can't even get close to calling that a normal occurrence.....I'm sure it does happen but rarely. The OP here after 44 years said things that are very true , not doubting any of them....but a new driver can make this a career that is not only long , but lucrative and rewarding.....it's all about choices. And if the truth be told after 44 years and only 2 jobs.....he is one of those that can never be satisfied...if you gave him a million tax-free.....he would find a way to piss on it...met the type many times.

11. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks Tony.. I enjoy your insight and input a lot.. you have a good perspective and I find a lot of value in many of your posts..

I remembered the Name of the company.. Arrow... I think I boo ked out of my mind.. because I almost signed on with them at the school and would of gone to orientation the first week of Dec... So when they closed up over night just days before Christmas it hit home with me..

To explain better what my point is.. I believe that as a driver gains experience they gain mere control of their career... I think the mega companies don't offer drivers much control and he can have some bad impact on their career..

I know with winter coming I can expect to see trucks off the road and possibly turned over in Iowa along I29 cause every year it happens.. while I think some are a combination of a driver making a bad cboice to drive in winter conditions... I know some are pushed by their company to deliver the load on time..

With experience you can get on with better companies.. and as a driver.. with experience you learn better time management and routing.. you may know how to not put yourself driving through the storm..

I think for many New drivers there is a mindset that it only takes a few months of driving to be trained.. but, I feel it takes a couple years to really have the experience enough to make a career in trucking... Until fhen you can have a job in trucking..

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.