Social Security Benefits

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Makeajump, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Hi there! I’m reaching my FRA this year and plan to start receiving my benefits. I can’t find the answer to a few questions I have about this.
    #1 - Does the SSA withhold for income taxes or is that up to me to put away some for taxes?
    #2 - I plan to keep working and bringing in a paycheck for a while longer so is my benefit reduced or will it remain at full amount?

Thanks for the info. I figured there is some folks here that has been through this and could offer some insight. Thanks Again!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    SSA has a pretty good website that explains in detail all the different scenarios.

4. Makeajump

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Yep I have been there but still don’t see about withholding. Oh well just looking at what others are finding.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If you have reached full retirement age then you can make as much as you can working without reducing you SS benefits.

KB3MMX and Makeajump Thank this.
  6. Makeajump

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you very much for the info. I have heard it both ways. I was on the phone yesterday to the SSA for over an hour and never got to speak to a human being so I gave up. Thanks again!

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If FRA = 68 or 70 etc then you can make whatever you want and those benefits should stand.

Once you are FRA, there is nothing more to do except to see how many years before your death. And that is becoming a real problem with SSA trust, the expected life span is 75 years, people are getting into the 90's further putting a strain on it.

People can get retirement at 62 but if you check the schedule of benefits, you will find that trying to live at 62 on nothing makes your situation much worse after you age to FRA. It is better to you to wait until FRA if at all possible.

8. Makeajump

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Right on! The company where I have worked for the last 10 years has been bought out 2 times and this last time really sucks for me so with a little extra per month I can find a local gig close to the house and be home every night driving my wife crazy Maybe driving a cement truck or something like that. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  9. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    As stated before, once you reach full retirement age, you are allowed to make as much as you want. But!! There is a "catch", once your gross income goes beyond a certain amount, I believe $32,000, your Social Security is taxed. Your benefits could be taxed up to 85%, all depending on your gross income for the year. You can have taxes deducted from your benefits. I have worked since I started receiving S.S. some 19 years ago and every year, I have paid taxes on 85% on my benefits. I protect myself from owing the government by having my employer take extra taxes out of my pay check. But once you reach a certain amount of income, you will be liable to pay taxes on your S.S. benefits.

KB3MMX, x1Heavy and Makeajump Thank this.
  10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    If you are not FRA after $17,000 you make social security will take one dollar for every two you make.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.