Some Old Texas Tickets

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by IROCUBabe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    About four years ago I got a few tickets in TX, no vehicle insurance
    no valid liscense + no registration (just bought the car, was trying to sneak it home at night >.>) I forgot all about the tickets because the court date was 2 months after the issue date, lost the ticket stub, and we moved 2 times. I -completely- forgot about it.

Two years later I got one in Allen for no insurance/registration. Issue was NY Insurance found out I was living in TX and cancelled me for some dumb reason, thusly NY state canceled my registration. I wasn't aware of this. Reason it was registered in NY is because at the time I was living in NY for a few months prior to moving back to TX. Directly after this I parked car in storage unit and went back to NY to help a family member whom was very ill (lung cancer). Ticket got forgotten about. (I admit I am crazy forgetful; if its been more then a week and I dont have a reminder I forget.)

A few weeks ago I got stopped by the police for running a plain view stopsign, that I just did not see. Granted I still slowed down and made sure no one was coming, I just didn't stop. Didn't know I was supposed to. Was in personal car not truck.

Long story short ran me, found warrents, I got a one way ride in a police car. Posted bail.

I have a total of 5 tickets, plus the ones that the cop gave me the day I was arrested. So now I got 8 tickets.

I plan to fight everything but the stop sign, as I did that and I hate people who do that so I am biting the bullet on that one. But my question is, if I do fail to win these tickets, will they hurt my CDL badly? I do not think most of them are moving violations. And all but the 3 recent ones were from long before I had a CDL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickingdeer

kickingdeer Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Did these show up on you're DAC before you got hired? PER DOT they look at 10 years w/o driving experience. After you get a COMMERCIAL D/L it no longer matters what type of vehicle that you drive because it goes under the license type. What is your companies' ticket reporting policy? Are you asked if you had any tickets during the year? I know most companies do ask this each year of driving. Even though you were in a car running a stop sign is a moving violation. I don't know about your state but in CA we can pull up the PENAL CODES and any other codes. You can look up the item (code for the offense) to see what the officer actually wrote you up for. On your H-6 will have points to each infraction. Most trucking companies that hire drivers will ask for three years of driving and 10 year overall employment histories. Hope this might answer your question. Keep Safe out there.

4. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Having a CDL actually makes things worse for you, esp in TX. Some things don't go away on your TX licenses. Yes, after three years you don't see them BUT if you pull the long form. They are there. I know this because I just pulled a long form on my record. The serious ones will not disappear. Like the no insurance and no valid license.etc etc.. So be aware when you go applying for a driving job. They can pull a long form on you and see these things. Some states are not like this. Usually after three to five years it falls off your record. :yes2557:
    You can order the long form from
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq/answers_dr_ac.htm#q3

3) How many years does a moving violation appear on a driver record? Moving violations appear on a driver record for a period of 5 years with the exception of serious offenses. Example: DWIand No Liability Insurance remain on the record indefinitely. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.101.

5. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

I am really surprised that this didn't bite you when you first got your CDL and Werner hired you.

6. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    S T O P does not mean slow & go. It means STOP. So now you have FTA's (failure to appear) as well as the original citations. Because of the FTA's warrants were issued. At the time you went to Werner there probably were no convictions because the court was still waiting for you to respond which you failed to do. Your attorney may have been able to plea on some of these, but you still have big problems don't you.

From a retired federal DOT official

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    They all sound like moving violations to me . You know we all hate to see you in this mess . The big problem is drivers have to be approved by the carrier's insurance company . I see a big problem there .

8. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Sounds like to me that maybe you shouldn't drive a truck. I know it's not your fault, nothing is. Got smacked in the middle of the night trying to sneak around. Again just trying to get home I know. Then run a stop sign, but again not your fault. You couldn't have possibly seen it, they just stuck it there. Good thing you weren't in a truck, you would have probably killed yourself or someone else when you ran through that one. Maybe some time putting fuel in a truck and not driving will do you good and the motoring public in general. I think you are getting ready to lose your "Tour Card". If you don't know what a "Tour Card" is I will spell it out C-D-L.

jtrnr1951, CPTNHOOK2 and psanderson Thank this.
  9. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds to me like you are talking out of your butt. None of the violations happened in a truck and 5 of them happened 3+ years ago.

As it stands:

No insurance - reduced to no insurance proof present.
    No registration - not a moving violation or points violation paid
    No insurance/reg/license - all thrown out, cars bill of sale proved I was okay on the registration, cop failed to show up on the other two at court.

Paid the stop sign ticket.
    Fought and won the insurance ticket.
    Paid the reg. ticket.

So get off your high horse there butthead. If you have no tickets in any violations in the last 10 years I'd sure like to see your MVR.

My CDL is fine, none of them would have caused me to lose my CDL. And since I am already on with Werner I am good there. They just did my annaul recheck and not even the stop sign showed up which is weird...

10. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    well maybe you should go to Part 383 of the CFR Title 49. Maybe it will enlighten you on convictions, when you get convicted, and the effects on your CDL. I know for a fact it doesn't matter in your truck or not, and some states court's give probation before judgement, so there is no guilty finding. With the tougher more dtringent laws surrounding CDL's and their holder's PBJ's affect the cdl now as well. Good luck to you if you get off of it, but the way i read it your screwed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.