Someone told me it's ok to shift going downhill. but isntructor says no.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by attrintal, Mar 26, 2007.

1. attrintal

attrintal Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2007
    which is true? this guy I was talking to told me it's perfectly ok to shift downhill. he was very persistant, almost like he WANTED me to do it. the isntructor says no you cant. so I'm suspicious of this guy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sparky1982

Sparky1982 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Jackson, MI
    shifting down hill is very bad. If its a big hill then you may never get back into a gear, then you are going nutruel down a hill, with the only method to stop yourself is with your brakes, and we know how that can turn out, dont we?

4. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    Shifting downhill, not a good idea... Be in the gear you need before going down.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    You want to keep the truck in gear if at all possible when going down a grade.

6. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    this is why signs on big hills say " trucks use low gear ". alot of these so called hills you don't want to go any faster than 45 or the pucker factor could be very high....................

7. The New Yorker

The New Yorker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    bad idea, think about the speed to gear ratio. go with your gut, and not some hot shot supertrucker. It can be done but it's to easy to loose control. And if you miss that gear then .......:biggrin_25514: I hope my kids are not on that section of road.

8. thedragon

thedragon Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    I second everyones comments. Never shift going down hill!!!!!!

9. Keith48

Keith48 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Good comments! Remember - you can go down a hill too slow a thousand times, but you'll only go down it too fast once!

10. qcommkiller

qcommkiller Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Jefferson City, MO
    I'd listen to your intructor, and if you don't, what's general area do you run so I can make sure I ain't there?

11. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    It's usually a bad idea, but if it has to be done, I was told to do the double down method but only downshift one gear. To be safe, sometimes I triple down.

To be extra safe, I only downshift at the top of the hill like you're supposed to. But life likes to be sneaky.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.