Soo, What do you do if the truck you need doesn't exist???

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Oct 24, 2017.

1. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @KANSAS TRANSIT
    What tires do you run on the drive?
    Is the height at the front a issue?

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I run 275/22.5 on the front and rear of the tractor, the tractor "height" is no issue since I won't be running a head rack, I can meet the "cargo on truck" stipulation with the bus/van/truck on the deck. We run the 255/22.5 on the trailer. I "could" drop to 255's on the tractor, but I don't like the way they ride AND it would spin my rpms higher than I want.

The truck deck should come out to 42" with a VERY slight hump over the wheels, and the trailer deck will run from 42" down to 40" right over the rear wheels and then of course taper down. Problem with our high mounts is the lowest we can get the front deck is 52" so I will be gaining almost a foot.

Our tallest bus is 126" plus the 42" will put us right at 14' and with careful planning that gets us almost anywhere we go, and if I HAVE to, we can always dump the drive air from the cab and gain 4" to get us to 13'8" in a pinch.

Right now I have to be careful and mix and match buses so we don't get to tall over the drives with the HM, this setup will make life easy, as any bus we haul will fit anywhere on the deck or trailer, and of course it gains me another bus.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Can't wait to see the finished product. With the though you put into it and your experience with the buses and speciality vehicles it should be great.

BoostedTeg and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  5. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I'd have the deck builder weld some pockets in to get the height down. Careful planning doesn't work with tree branches weighed down by snow or wet leaves. Not that I've ever touched a tree limb!

6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Did you fiddle with that sheet we did a while back, to check the weights @ 80'?

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    That and also going by where we are at now in regards to rear trailer overhang and rear weight bias, IF I hang a vehicle 4' off the back now I am about 1200 over on that r/a, the new stinger will have basically the same rear overhang and almost the same kp to r/a dims, BUT I am hoping that by just building a flat deck and eliminating all but the rear shotgun I will be losing quite a bit of trailer weight, around 2800 pounds, I think it will be real close, but again, that is why I am using this old truck as an experiment rather than guessing at wb on a new one.

Right now the bigger issue I am worried about is actually ft ax, as you know I need to get as much on the ft ax as possible because I have no unit over the cab to offset the swing weight, I may lose too much on that steer, loaded it will probably get to 12,500, BUT with hitch weight I will probably lose 2,500 of that, unless I REALLY stretch the tractor wb, but then I am afraid I will be WAY over on the ft ax, again, we are just going to make an educated guess and see what happens!!

8. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    It looks cool, but if we knew "why" it would be easier to cheerlead to project..

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Stan has a history of this ....at this moment hes probably in a limestone cave near glasco ks where he's been for weeks . lol

KANSAS TRANSIT and brian991219 Thank this.
  10. ACAJOE

ACAJOE Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Crazy place for a body shop though....

;)

11. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I can't speak for Stan but as I understand it from this post and other conversations, he is building a specialized stinger-steer unit to haul 3 bus conversions, each being 24' long. He is trying to get about 75' linear space plus swing room in a legal length while retaining a standup sleeper, light weight and accommodating the extra height of these shuttle buses. He may even be trying to stay single axle tractor, this is a single axle he is modifying. Right now his high-mount rigs can only legally move two of these buses, he wants to increase productivity.

All I really know is it should be cool when done, he has always been an innovator and willing to put his money where his mouth is by building his concepts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.