soon to be DEF shortages

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by buddyd157, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Waiting a month for a $10k one box.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    It's the media, any resemblance between their stories and the truth are coincidental, if not accidental.

RockinChair, Feedman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Few and far between. This truck has 500k miles, I’ve had two emissions sensor issues. One was caused by a road tech using too much ether after the truck lost prime. Hell I drove 3 weeks with the sensor throwing a check engine light until I had time to get it into the shop. The other was a def level sensor. Both took less then three hours to fix at the dealer.

With remote diagnostics, I had the parts waiting on me when I showed up.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about $13k emission repairs. There’s always been repair Shop horror stories. Fact is, anyone has to be proactive when choosing repairs. Like anything else. I’m reminded of an esteemed member bragging about only being on the hook twice. He used that example as a selling point. Lol.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  6. kcscomer

kcscomer Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2020
    Yea. DEF is the devil. I hate it. From the douser valve, nox sensor etc to busted tubing to repeatedly threatening to derate landing me at a dealership and a hotel room with a full load in my trailer and being right on the edge of having to hire another company to pull my trailer.

That ended with a hefty labor bill and apack of lies from the dealer where all they really did was clear the code and send me on my way after 3 days of scratching their heads.

Delivered the load with the derate warning back on my dash and it wasn't until 2 other visits to my local dealer before cummins said to do a wire overlay through the engine harness that finally fixed the issue.

About $7500+ and a lot of downtime over a couple of thin copper wires.

So yea...I seriously hate def with a passion. It sucks and even the certified techs aren't very good at understanding how to fix it in my experience.

7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Its much easier to streamline that exhaust, lol.

8. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    All this talk about kitty's vs grass burners is making think of the classic cartoon, Tom and Jerry.....one may catch the other but the one ends up escaping......

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    7.07 on this fill up. Loaded 18k on the way down and 32k back up. Not bad for 29 years old

DUNE-T and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  10. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Why do you want people on house arrest?

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    So they don't get in my way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted