Soon to be Fresh Grad looking for Opportunities

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Moneyhungrytrucker, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Moneyhungrytrucker

Moneyhungrytrucker Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Hello Truckers,

I will be finished with my CDL school around July 15th 2017. I am planning to get my Twic card and tanker and hazmat endorsements. I am interested in Oil field jobs because of all the rumors but my gut feeling is they are just rumors or "too good to be true". Some seem to say Oil field jobs are picking up again and others are saying its best to work OTR.

I was recently living in Asia for about 7 years until I was forced to return to the USA because I was facing stiff competition in my online business and I was getting low on money. After a few years trucking my plan is I would like to acquire enough real estate to make a decent income and return to Asia. Those years spent in Asia were the greatest years of my life, I really enjoy living overseas.

I am used to working 12-16 hours days everyday, its a way of life for me. I have no wife, no kids, no car/transportation. I am currently living with a roommate paying cheap rent living off my remaining savings trying to reestablish myself in the USA with a career while going broke fast exhausting my savings at the moment. So after I get my CDL's I am hoping to jump into some work fast. I decided to give CDL driving a try because I figured I could drive OTR or in the Oil field and live in the truck a few years saving money and invest in real estate properties. Once in a while if i get "burnt out" I will take a little home time or stay at a hotel a night or two to recharge myself.

I would like to make around about $5,000 gross income before tax at a minimum each month if am am going to be trucking OTR away from home months at a time. I will most likely remain OTR for months at a time and rarely request home time. I am looking for advice on how to best get started with the right companies, I am looking for good opportunities to get started on the right foot.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    @Chinatown

Moneyhungrytrucker Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    $5,000 a month as a new driver? You probably will only average 2,500 miles a week and 125,000 miles a year. Just multiply rate per mile time 125,000.

Not sure about the oil felds paying crazy plus even taking a new drivers oil is not crazy price like it used to be diesel is $2.65 a gallon. I suppose you can gross $5,000 a month if you go for the trainer thing. You get paid all miles a truck runs basically running team freight, you and a new driver running 24/7 or 1,200 miles a day.

5. Moneyhungrytrucker

Apr 21, 2017
    So as a new driver I cant make $1250 per week gross before taxes are taken out? You think I need at least 1 year experience for that kind of money?

6. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    You can make 5k a month as a new driver. If you are just looking to do that for a few years, I would look at LTL. FedEx freight will train you (after you get a CDL) and will pay you between 1000 and 1400/week. Sign up for OT and weekend runs and you can bump that up a bit.

Good luck.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Depends on your location. Where do you live; your domicile?

8. Moneyhungrytrucker

Apr 21, 2017
    I am in White Marsh Maryland. However don't OTR drivers make the most money?
    Considering I have no wife and no kids I am willing to take higher risks. I can remain transient/OTR in my choices if the money is good. I want to go where the money is.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Depends, there's some good paying local jobs, but also some good paying OTR jobs. Tanker work pay really well and in the range you posted you want. Some of those companies have local, regional and OTR. I ran tankers coast to coast and really liked it; some of the drivers at my terminal made $72K. The local drivers at my terminal didn't make near that.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    local tanker here and I matched that last year

G13Tomcat and Moneyhungrytrucker Thank this.
  11. Moneyhungrytrucker

Apr 21, 2017
    What companies should I look at for running tankers coast to coast? Companies want experienced guys but surely we all have to start somewhere...we all at one time had our first time in the seat of a tanker. What company would be most likely to hire a fresh grad? Or should I drive 6-12 months OTR dry van first and then look for tanker jobs?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.