Soon to be New Driver - Looking for help with type of trailer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ethen24jack, Jun 19, 2018.

1. ethen24jack

ethen24jack Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Hey everyone! New to the site/blog and have found it very educational. I appreciate everyone on here.

I am soon going to be purchasing a newerish (2015) F-250 Diesel to start hauling cars. For now, I am going to start with a 1-Car hauler.

My questions are as follows?

1. Is it better to have a 20" or a 22"? Why?
    **** It will be 102' Wide with a Dove Tail ****
    2. If I am only going to be pulling vehicles (the heaviest possibly being a F-250 (10,000 GVWR).... is it necessary to purchase a bumper trailer with:
    A. 7000 lb axles (14000GVWR)
    or
    B. 5200 lb axles would suffice? (10400GVWR)

The question above that i'm asking (to get into detail) I guess can relate to tire wear, bearing issues, drive stability, and also if it's necessary to go 22" instead of 20" or vice versa.

I love driving and feel this is a great opportunity for me! Can't wait to begin this new journey.

P.S.
    Any tips where I can find websites for loads, routes, etc - to start learning all that would be greatly appreciated.

Drive Safe Ya'll!

Ethen A.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Just curious, if this will be a full time gig for you, why just a one-car trailer, and a bumper-mount at that? Seems you would be limiting yourself immediately. If I was doing this, I would at least start with a two-car trailer with a goose neck, but maybe I'm wrong here? Some of the other folks with experience in this area should be along shortly.

4. ethen24jack

ethen24jack Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018

JReding,

Thanks for the response.... I plan on making this a full-time gig.... due to funds.... I’m only able to get a decent truck and a trailer. I don’t have much experience at all with trailers... which is also why I would like to start with a 1-Car hauler.... I don’t have my CDL-A yet either so I want to stay under the 26,001 lb threshold as well in order to be legal.

Once I get everything in line - and save up some more - I’ll simply be able to upgrade both the truck and then start hauling 2/3 cars at some point. I’m in no rush and simply want to learn and be safe. :)

JReding Thanks this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You do know ...

1 - f250 is a light duty truck, buy a 350.

2 - the GVW being over 10k on the trailer will put you into CDL A needs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.