Sourcing Parts For an Old Trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jldilley, Jun 1, 2023.

1. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Hello, everyone. I’ve been interested in buying an RGN for the last three or four years. I finally have the tractor that I wanted to get to specifically pull the type of equipment. Up to this point, I thought I would buy a brand new trailer, but I got to thinking: maybe it would be cool to have a period correct trailer to go with the tractor. I do plan to take the tractor to more shows.

That being said, I was wondering how easy it is to source parts for old trailers. I imagine it would be easier to conduct maintenance and repairs on than old tractors since by their very nature trailers are simpler in design.

Do any of you still maintain and run an old trailer? The trailer in question would be an RGN, model year 1998 to 2002 to go with a 2000 K100E. As always, I appreciate your help.

~ Josh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Parts are easy. Not really any difference in the trailers from the late 90's to now

D.Tibbitt, jldilley, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have a 96 Aspen. Brake and suspension parts are readily available. Hydraulic parts are standard. Wiring is wiring, but no ABS on mine.

5. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    The problem with 25 year old RGN’s, if they have been used in a commercial capacity they have had the guts beat out of them. Rust issues underneath, cracking welds, main beams that have lost strength and go negative camber. All that can be fixed but at some point it’s more than the trailer is worth. Save yourself some headaches and buy a new trailer.

In a few months it’ll look like it’s 25 years old.

D.Tibbitt, W923, exhausted379 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I guess I have been lucky as the previous owners nor I run the trailer consistently. It needs sandblasted and re-painted, but no crack or camber issues. I paid $30k in 2009 for it and could probably sell it for about that now. I haven't priced new ones, but I would guess a 55 ton would be over $100k now aren't they?

D.Tibbitt, W923, jldilley and 4 others Thank this.
  7. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    The mini deck I originally wanted goes for about $130K

Oxbow, Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    If you find a good contractor trailer that wasn’t worked hard every day you may can find a good one, but some contractors will overload the snot out of one and beat on them. Side load them and such.

A new 55 ton are north of 120 right now. Prices may have fallen a bit recently but I haven’t been looking.

Oxbow, jldilley and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    There are different grades of RGN’s too. Commercial grade is generally a little lighter in weight but not as beefy. Construction grade is beefy and heavy. It will last a lot longer, but generally have shorter wells and weigh a fair bit more.

D.Tibbitt, W923, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  10. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I wouldn’t be scared to get a late 90s rgn but you need to look very hard at it in person because there’s some good ones and a lot of rusted out ones that have cracks everywhere. I have a 94 and it’s a pretty clean trailer for its age. It’s also more of the over spec design and is quite heavy. I probably wouldn’t buy one with a fresh paint job unless there were pictures of the project for the simple fact of how well it was prepped.

jldilley Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.