South and East Texas crude hauling market becomes saturated

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Just wanted to give a heads up. From what I am seeing, hearing and personally dealing with, the South and East Texas crude market is experiencing some serious pressure on the rates and availability of oil to haul.

Got some buddies over in East Texas. They have been slow for weeks and weeks and they are having to work a 5 on 5 off schedule just to maintain the fleet. In my area here in South Texas I have a few buddies who are being sat frequently or find themselves way underutilized.

As for me, yesterday I was offered this... either move out of state to continue working with the company I'm at (do not ask me who) or sit for 3 weeks while I wait for their next Texas gig to pick up.

There has been a huge surge of companies come into this market in this region (Eagleford). I would say around Fall it just seemed like someone opened the floodgates. The rates are under pressure for sure. One account I am familiar with has seen a rate cut of 50% in 7 months.

Anyway, I think company drivers are more insulated from this issue as the larger fleets can stomach the lower rates by doing the volume and in some cases the large fleets are the ones signing up for lower and lower rates and exacerbating the current environment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plater1

plater1 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    back in NY
    Sounds like 2016 all over again??

4. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    You can legally collect unemployment for these times if Im not mistaken ....

Rockdoctor Thanks this.
  5. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    So, as per my other thread I want to come to the states for work.

I’m currently getting $160-$180 / hour and I have to pay out 15% to my contractor.

What types of rates are you guys looking at down there ?

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I enjoy reading your posts man you know what you're talking about. Have you made a decision on what your doing? I'm in PA in the Marcellus/Utica formation. I'll have to dig up the link I found but anyways they predicted the Utica to be on fire with the next few years ramping up production in anticipation of new pipelines coming online.

Between oh/pa/wv there's about 75ish rigs, most of them in the very SE corner of Ohio and SW pa. On top of regular dry gas/oil there is wet gas also used in making plastics/polymers propane, butane, ethane, etc. Another link I found, this was about Ohio by 2030 they were predicting around 200,000 jobs related to our industry, it said 40,000 current jobs.

When i was out in Ohio I was doing cement for Schlumberger, handling the bulk side of things pre-loading silos for the pump crew. Summer of 2017 rig HP #608 set an on-shore world record for total well length. 27,750ft with 19,500 being horizontal. All in 17 days from spud in to TD. They're calling them super-lateral wells.

You know how the boom/bust goes but I think the Utica is going to be a hot zone pretty soon. The handful of guys my dad and I know out there say its going strong and if anything there's talk of more rigs being brought up.

Hope you find something steady

Eclipse Breaks Record Again – New Longest Shale Well in World!

Let me find those other links ill post them

Encino Plans to Continue Expanding in OH Utica

https://www.farmprogress.com/story-marcellus-utica-natural-gas-production-head-higher-2019-9-146067

Didn't mean to steal your thread I figured you wouldn't mind the info on other areas

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Rodeorowdy and Rockdoctor Thank this.
  7. Rockdoctor

I'm an O/O so that is not an option for me. At this time I think I have 3 choices:

1) Wait it out for 3 weeks and see where the new work in TX is at, utilize this time for truck repairs
    2) Move permanently to OK (I run a daycab and split shift with my wife so no bouncing around in the sleeper option like most O/O)
    3) Go find a new company to work for as an O/O or company driver

I'm also looking into possibly trading my day cab in for a sleeper but that doesn't make sense when you split shift a truck and do local runs.

Also if I had my own 407 trailer I would have more options. So just thinking out loud here, not in a super rush to make a bad decision.

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  8. Rockdoctor

Thanks for the encouragement! I like to openly discuss what I am seeing and experiencing in hope that it will help others and bring me clarity. There are some very smart and helpful people on this forum who have saved me from myself more times than I can recall.

I have not decided it on what I plan to do. When you are making great money then with no warning someone tells you your income is zero, things get a little emotional. And I have found in the past when I use logic and reasoning to make decisions things work out and when I use emotions I always lose a lot of money, LOL!

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That happened to us a few months ago pulling easy/light van loads and out of nowhere a big carrier scooped up all the work for cheap. Were just a small 2 truck operation, driving for my dad. Doing sand/water/low boy work.

Have you thought about getting into any other areas of the industry? Up here if you have a 130 bbl water tank you'll have more steady work than with a sand can.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    We're really, really busy over here in the Permian Basin. Surely the company you're leased on to has operations here.

austinmike and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.