Southwestern Energy to cut 44% of workforce.

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Chinatown, Jan 21, 2016.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Their both nice looking cars. I saw a model S about a year ago and it caught my eye in the parking lot as being a sharp car.

I crawled all over it trying to figure out what it was, since it had no badges on it.

Great looking car, a little minimalistic in the interior but reports say the ergonomics are very good.

Teslas track record is a very good selling point and their almost endless financing because of their stock increasing in value so much will fuel their progression.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What happened to Elio Motors? I had big plans to purchase one of those. 84 mpg seemed real good to me.

4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    All hail Adam Smith!

Do not worry. There is no doom. It's all just a redistribution of power. Just save your money's and wait for the surge!

5. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Underfunded , unproven, and too Odd to attract the average consumer.

Think Tucker

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The main reason I haven't bought into electric vehicles yet is mainly that my needs are quite a bit beyond what they are marketing these vehicles to do. I tow and haul a fair amount. I also live in a region where there is a lot of dirt roads, mud, water, etc. Temperatures range from 35C to -45C so heat is very important for winter. Even in today's modern times, gas stations in rural areas could be several hundred kilometers apart.

One thing that I don't think you'll see going electric anytime soon is construction equipment. Kind of hard to charge or transport half a dozen or more batteries to a construction site or logging block in the middle of no where several times a day.

7. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    As unfeasable as it sounds and I do agree with you on the rural area construction equipment , that could change too.

One large portable battery bank carted in as the Mother battery being continuously charged by a small efficient generator .
    Or possibly a portable wind turbine or solar panels.

Than the Mother Battery being used as a quick charge station for the equipment.

I know it does not make sense to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy and than back again to hydraulic energy.

But the efficiency of Lithium is changing that view .

My 2008 nissan 4wd pathfinder is too handy and will last me another 20 years the way they hold up and I care for it.

But there are many other consumers out there that just need transportation.

A AWD electric pickup with the acceleration of a ZO6 Corvette would be fun to blow the tailgates off all the rednecks with their Souped up Duramaxxs.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    It is by far from an immediate happening , but the expansion is over.

Exploration and drilling was simply funded and driven by the greed and manipulation of Wall Street.

Middle East crushed that.

It will never come back. That was the Last Hurrah for
    Oil.
    Those Tugs and Rigs stacked in Port Fourchon will be sold off or cut up for scrap in the next year or 2 As oil continues to plummet and the banks take over the debt.

tman78 and LindaPV Thank this.
  9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Interesting view points gentlemen,

Not sure if I can ride the train with any of you tho. Seen too much. The Big 3 comment on pensions is spot on . They have hit the price point on the lot. Consumers can no longer afford their iron. ( and aluminum lol )
    When a bare bones 3/4 ton "work truck" diesel 4wd is 44k then your there. Over $1500 of your purchase price goes straight back to benefits and entitlements.

On lithium, my former employer was one of the premiere suppliers of it in the US. and he sold the units in 2005 to the Chinese. Saying, this group was pretty smart. Put a lot of money into making raw materials and AG chemicals so selling the unit on the verge of a major expansion appears contradictory to his street smarts. You would have to assume he could easily see this market just a mere 10 years away right?

Oil dead? Naw..... I don't think 100 bbl will be back except in a crisis but I like 60 in the near future. I also like electric applications as common place / city / rural inside of 20 years. Depends on what folks like Elon can actually do.....

Coal? definitely hurt by emissions and regulations but still remains the first choice behind natural gas as the cost effective leader in power generation. If gas does the 13 mcf thing again then coal will return.....short of a suitable substitute, which few are working on.

Want to be scared? Our Uncle has had the printing press wide open since 2008 trying to cover the housing bubble that he started. All that debt is out there and it will have to be repaid...sooner or later.....and the fool is still doing it. That is going to justify Tommy's sail boat. $1300 gold and $20 silver? Indeed! The smart guys are dumping cash into precious metals hedging the future. It definitely doesn't look good for Super Chicken!

JMO as always.....

10. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Can you tell us anything about production capacity for batteries?
    I recall something about how the materials needed to make batteries are not sufficiently abundant to replace more than a small fraction of combustion engines with electric. Like the hydrogen fuel cell - not enough of certain rare metals, etc. on the planet to make much of a dent.

11. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Aren't wages higher (in dollars) in Canada. Also, there is national health care. Over all, do you think we have a higher standard of living in the U.S.?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.