Spread axle dump valve switch help?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonJon78, Jun 3, 2023.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So, finally after 4 years of owning my current truck I tried wiring it to the trailer that's equipped with a dump valve, to release the air out of the rear axle bags... I also have lift axle, on first axle of the trailer.

So on my 7 way the only hole that does anything when I attach the new hot wire from the switch in my truck to it Is, on the bottom left, its called 'D/green/Right turn signal & hazard"

The problem is that controls my lift axle, which I have a manual switch outside on the trailer that controls that. How come none of the other holes on the 7 way when plugging a hot wire into them is dumping my rear axle? I have a manual valve switch outside of the trailer that lifts/lowers that axle....

Another issue is, I bought this buzzer, so I don't forget to release the air dump, but when it's connected to the switch on my dash the buzzer stays on with both the switch in on and off positions, obviously it should just be buzzing when the switch is on....

So what am I doing wrong? I'm 100% my trailer has a dump axle as I had it hooked up on my old truck....

Also, how come this port under my dash that runs to the switch has 2 wires but while I'm messing with everything I tried running power to the trailer with only 1 wire attached and it powered the lift axle? What's the purpose of having 2 wires if one is doing the job?

One more thing is when I plug one wire in the hole on the bottom left and then the other in the top middle ground hole, my fuse keeps blowing? I was trying to stick 2 wires in different holes trying to get the dump axle to work....

I know its a lot said here, sorry. Im not good with electric so maybe what im saying sounds stupid to someone that is familiar with electrical stuff.

and yes those wire i have twisted together was just in the testing stages, once i get it all figured i will clean it up with fancy connectors. Definitely have no intentions of leaving them looking twisted together like pictured...

FYI I'm using a extension cord as my wires so it's weather proof outside the truck, just the green and white wire, the black is unused so far...

Maybe this old 7 way im using is no good possibility?
    20230603_142516.jpg

@Rideandrepair @DeereRunner97 @God prefers Diesels @D.Tibbitt
    20230603_144706.jpg

20230603_142619.jpg

20230603_142522.jpg 20230603_142544.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    What year is your trailer? It should be using all 7 pins for light and abs function. Another plug usually for dump applications.

Didn't see last pic. Assuming you have 2 7 ways?

4. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    2019... yes I have two 7 ways on the trailer, one for all lights and abs then a separate one for this dump axle...

cke, D.Tibbitt, 4mer trucker and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I'm an idiot and didn't look at all the pics

cke, Rideandrepair and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I wish I could help. Took me 3 years to install a new fm radio.

Vampire, cke, Bean Jr. and 4 others Thank this.
  7. dumptruck89

dumptruck89 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    MA
    Just out of curiosity your sure your testing the right plug for accessories. Usually the second 7 wire plug is polarized so you don't plug them in wrong.

Vampire, cke, Bean Jr. and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. DeereRunner97

DeereRunner97 Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    On the 7 way for the dump axle and the ability to lift the axle, does it have a wiring diagram?

My MAC had a five way for those accessories.

As for the use of only one wire, you’re going to need two. One is going to be your hot wire, and the other is neutral. Kind of like how a light switch works. It always has power to it, until the neural is broken (normally closed contacts). When the neural is broken, the light will either come on or go off. Same concept here. The black wire on your extension cord is your hot, the white is your neutral.

Vampire, cke, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  9. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Ya, I spray painted the 7 way electrical connector for the dump axle red so it won't get mixed up with the standard green line that controls the lights and abs...

Vampire, cke, D.Tibbitt and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Don't see any wiring diagram anywhere on the trailer for it, maybe will search Reitnouer website for one.

I'm wondering if possible the dump valve is bad ... Haven't used it on 4 years
    ... I suppose that's definitely a possibility? Have no clue where it's hidden on the trailer. Gotta find out...

11. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    And this trailer came with a 4 way for the dump axle but I had the dealer replace it with a 7 way prior to driving it off the lot when purchased new, just because I had a spare 7 way electrical cord and didn't wanna purchase or mess with changing the connections on my truck while picking the trailer up. But never had a problem that way with old truck..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.