Specing out parts for a vac pump/vac trailer setup.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by kogaFX, Apr 26, 2018.

1. kogaFX

kogaFX Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Frozen Lease Road, ND
    Hello, so today I had been talking to my mechanic, then went over to the the truck warehouse to buy the parts and I felt so unsure about it all so I just wanted to get another opinion.

I'm trying to buy a PTO and hydraulic pump, and tank to run a hydraulic motor driven vacuum pump.

this will be for vac trailers from 130-165 barrels, hauling water.

What kind of GPM would you recommend on the hydraulic pump? My mechanic told me atleast 30 gpm, but when I went to the warehouse, they told me all I need is the 24 gpm model. There was two PTOs that fit my transmission, an eaton RTLO, with different gear ratios. How do you figure out what gear ratio you need?

And with no cooler, would a 40 gallon tank be sufficient to keep the oil from overheating unloading a 130 barrel trailer?

And incase I need to buy a vac pump, what CFM would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    Keep in mind that the supply store needs to get rid of the inventory on the shelf. Don't know whether you saw the guy who started a thread lately about being tricked into buying a junky blower for his pneumatic but it happens.
    Calling several big established supply outfits and taking notes and cross shopping any expensive purchase like that would be in your best interest.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  4. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    If there's a reasonable doubt about what size will get the job done right, go with the bigger one. You probably know that but just a reminder. Best wishes on your venture.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  5. muthertrucker210

muthertrucker210 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2016
    What I am running is matching 30gpm hydraulic motors for my challenger 608. One thing you need to do is run a larger return line to feed the pto as it will probably starve if using the same size lines as the pressure side. For cfm I'd say get close to 400 and above, this is going to help with unload/load time.

Best to call chelsea or whatever pto you are going to run and make sure you get the right pto for your tranny that will get the right ratio to spin the vac pump to the desired speed. Its not just bolt up any pto and go as I thought.You just have to find out the optimal speed of the pump and then get the correct pto that will generate that speed with your transmission ratio.

Also you might look into a pressure relief valve. This will save your setup and dump fluid back into the tank if you have a malfunction. Dont forget about a inline filter.

On my setup I have 50 gal of fluid in a 65 gal tank and most of the time it doesn't get too hot unless its running for long period, but for 20 min to load/unload its fine.

Also, I had best luck with yellow teflon tape for my fittings. That liquid pipe thread sealer just leaked from the start.

I will say go with name brand on pto. I have a cheaper world american brand and it fails to disengage sometimes and is just a PITA, spend the extra and get the good one.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I worked for a clean up company and the tractors set up with 'power down' wet lines worked to run a trailer mounted hydraulic driven vac pump except the driver had to pull the throttle all the way out. A faster PTO was clearly needed. Don't know if it was ever done as I moved on.

kogaFX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.