Speed Binders

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by superdutyfan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I only used the vice because my hand was holding the camera. I do them with just my hands, leave the drill set to low and it's easy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    I can’t help but feel like some people turn binders into something much more difficult than it needs to be…………….

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have both, more ratchets than snaps, the drill for cleaning was a bored rainy day, but it works..

5. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, the problem is most people either weren't trained to use them properly, or choose not to, because doing it right takes a little more time than just cinching it tight and using a cheater bar to lock it down when it wasn't positioned right. Since they over tightened it, they don't realize the power undoing it does..which is why if they properly got the chains straight, and properly adjust the chain, all they need is tension from the 90 degree position and a non-cheatered winch bar. It's plenty tight at that point. I've seen overtightened chains send a winch bar sailing because someone didn't realize that and didn't keep a good handle on it. There's nothing wrong with using snap binders, the only problem is the operator error that often occurs. :)

RJM1953, Blue jeans, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Yep, seen a piece of pipe land on another trailer one time. Guy buried the handle up in the pipe and gave it a yank and it flew out of his hands lol…..

Blue jeans, Nostalgic, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I keep the threads on my binders clean and lightly lubricated. Makes for easy use.

I feel a couple problems folks have with a ratchet binder is, when neglected and the threads are dirty or rusty it’s difficult to get them tight.
    And, if the threads are clean and have oil on them, they can tend to loosen up with vibration as the threads turn. I always, and I mean always look at the threads and determine which way the handle is turning to tighten the chain. And I always hook the binder so when I’m done tightening, I can lay the handle against the trailer or the load itself, and the dog on the binder will prevent it from turning and loosening…..

stwik, Nostalgic, W923 and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I’ve certainly made my share of mistakes with snap binders. I know what you mean about trying to bind a twisted chain because I’ve done that and had to learn the hard way what happens. I even launched my winch bar once as you described. All stupid mistakes that I learned from. But even when I was a young and dumb rookie I always had the sense to never put my face in front of the the handle.

9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I don’t even run a flat and guarantee you by the time he is set up and halfway done I could have all of em sinched down snug and be cleaning my hands.

10. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    savannah GA
    Exactly.

cke, God prefers Diesels and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. baerpath

baerpath Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I use these every day hauling equipment, a battery usually lasts at least a couple weeks. I carry 2 batteries in the truck and charge at home. If using a drill to tighten you won't round the head off (an impact will) If you need to a ratchet or even a crescent wrench will work. I can do a 6 chain tiedown in about 15 minutes so ya there a lot faster than than flips or ratchet binders

Blue jeans Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted