Speed problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 806driver, Apr 18, 2019.

1. 806driver

806driver Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    I have a 98 379 peterbilt with 2m milled on it and ever now and again my speedometer goes wild it will either say I’m going 80+ when my gps says 67 or it will go all the way around back to the zero and the miles will climb about 2 miles a second I have serched for the speed sensor on the grant but the only one I find isn’t even connected can someone help me please THanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know if your speedometer is mechanically connected or a wired connection to sensors on the vehicle or even the ECM etc. It is likely you would have to replace all of that.

4. 806driver

806driver Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    I’m not sure either bkuz like I said the only senior that was in the area where I was told to look was not connected to anything but it works good for a while then it starts going crazy and I have to pull over and turn it on and off again until it starts working again

5. 806driver

806driver Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    How could I find out if it’s wired to encore or the ecm

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's a shop problem. PRobably a dealer issue where they can hook a big computer or even a dyno time for it to replicate the problem. I think it will help you to get it done. Or you might be exposed to a big ticket.

806driver Thanks this.
  7. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Where where you told to look? The speed should be taken from the rear output shaft/yoke of the transmission. If it’s mechanical there’s a cable there. If it’s electronic, there will be wires there.

Given the year of your truck I’m going to guess it’s electronic. And I’m also going to guess your needing a new speedo gauge. But I don’t know how to tell you to confirm that.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Likely a cabling issue.
    Replacing will fix.
    I've been wrong before ,though.

9. 806driver

806driver Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    I was told to look at the end of the transmission and I had no wires coming out of there I have no idea how it’s picking up the signal but I’m going to have to look more into it

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I could be wrong, but I'm thinking there is 2 speed sensors, and they both have to be hooked up. I know for a fact the one on the back of your tranny, by the yoke needs to be hooked up. I had my speedo mess up some on an international, but it would also turn the check engine light on any time I let off of it, it turned out to be the sensor on the throttle pedal. Mine worked but anytime you were giving it fuel, it would jump up and show 10 to 20 miles an hour fast, let off and it would show the right speed. The cruise would go wild when you tried to use it too. lol

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My 13 spd in 2000 Freightliner has 2 , second one is on top at about 11 o clock. Controls the cruise also.I ran a long time without cruise, had no idea there was 2, odometer still doesn’t work, Figured I need a speedo, but wonder if a wires broken somewhere. Don’t know. Only time I had a similar problem as yours was after changing sensor,Too much gap. Don’t know exact setting, I think I bottomed it out and backed off 1 turn. I’m sure someone knows exact settings. Strange yours works/ wires unhooked? Maybe 2 nd one is working. Somethings wrong. Good Luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.