Speed sensor ques.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Diesel007, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Diesel007

Diesel007 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Lincoln,Me
    I have 2005 Freightliner governed at 67MPH. I was told that if I grounded out the speed sensor i would get lore speed. Is this true? If not true then what can I do to get more speed from it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    If it is your truck you can bring it to the dealer and have them adjust the governor.
    If it is a company truck I would not mess with it, since it is very easy for them to tell if it was changed when they hook it up, and I do not know of any company's that do not fire drivers on the spot for changing it.
    Also it is illegal for any repair shop to change this without the owners permission.

4. FletchersDiesel

FletchersDiesel Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2009
    lancaster,ca
    It is quick and easy to go to a dealer or shop that has the software to hook up to your ecm and change your VSL (vehicle speed limit) but watch what rules are set for what you do tankers in ca are suppose to be set at 65 mph

5. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    It is possible to that you ground out that sensor, you might ground out other things as well, then your company will want to know what happened, especially if you fry the trucks computer that runs the engine and everything else, i think i would leave well enough alone.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You can't ground the sensor. When the ECM no longer receives a valid speed signal it will limit RPM to the point you will be going slower had you not tampered with it.

truckon Thanks this.
  7. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    If you really want to change the speed limitor setting...just spend the money and buy a Bully Dog Big Rig downloader. With the downloader you will be able to change the speed limitor, cruise high and low settings, and also the two different tunes they give ya. The price tag is a bit steep for a company driver at $2800, but if you are so serious about risking your job for a couple extra MPH then $2800 is probably worth it. My thoughts are that 67 MPH is fast enough...a truck just needs to be able to pull a hill and not be a flat-lander speed demon.

8. TruckPreacher

TruckPreacher Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Inglewood, Ca
  9. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    google faster truck

10. txviking

txviking <strong>Trucker Geek</strong>

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Or become an owner/operator. :)

11. alberto enriquez

alberto enriquez Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2011
    brighton colorado
    how can i change horse power on a kenworth t300 from 215 to 300
    hp i have it governed to 74 mph.:biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.