Speeding ticket?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Hawksfan0112, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Hawksfan0112

Hawksfan0112 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I got pulled over in Texas and received a speeding ticket for doing 72 in a 50 when really I was doing 70 in a 60 because i was in the process of slowing down and didn't know the area etc. he put his lights on right after the 60 mph sign we were no where near the 50 mph sign. When I completely stopped we just passed the 50 mph sign so I was doing under 50 mph before i even hit the 50 mph sign and the officer didn't ask to see my paper logs. Isn't that a requirement? lol what if I had illegal logs and went down the road and got into an accident this would fall back on me obviously but also wouldn't it fall back on the officer to? On the ticket he put the wrong address so could it be thrown out in court? Officer mention i was polish because of my last name he said he pulled someone over last week who was also polish what does that have to do with anything? I felt targeted. Only reason I'm posting about this is because going 15 over the speed limit is considered driving recklessly in the state of Illinois and I'm worried about this going on my record because my record "was" clean so I need some help. Don't like the fact the officer lied on the ticket and said I was doing 72 in a 50 just to get more money! thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You should fight the ticket.
    Google : Ticket Clinic

Texas authorities are well known for "stretching" the truth.
    One driver where I worked received $600.00 worth of tickets during a DOT inspection on Hwy. 59 in Texas. He was in a brand new truck on it's first trip and all the fines were for oil leaks. There were no leaks, but the DOT officer said some gaskets looked a little damp and will probably leak in the future. The tickets had "oil leaks" though. I'm not joking at all, this really happened.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    ^^^ Yep, fighting it is your only option. 22 mph over =
    The Oakstout_ Screw Gamers.jpg

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I've had good luck writing to the judge. It'll be read and handled by the court clerk, but the guts of it needs to say -

"I'm very sorry, had a long day, was worried about my family at home blah de blah.

As you are well aware our CDL is our livelihood etc, etc, and my record is thus far spot less . . .

This may jeopardize my employment etc,

Attending court would place undue burden on my financial situation, missing work , income, travel etc .

( THE IMPORTANT PART),

I plead with the court to reduce the violation to that of a lesser non-moving violation and AM HAPPY TO PAY ANY AND ALL COURT COSTS INVOLVED."

Yours truly,

Mr. X.

And be prepared and happy if they write you up for a defective wiper blade (yes, that's what I got), and send a check immediately - it'll be high, but it's worth it.

And pay attention next time.

You're welcome.

6. Wumbo Jumbo

Wumbo Jumbo Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Is it really worth writing to the judge if they dont even read it? And yes I got pulled over in linden Texas. HWY 59 NB

7. Wumbo Jumbo

Wumbo Jumbo Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Or do i just hire an attorney (even tho I can't really afford that) or write the letter? :/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. AtticusRoad

AtticusRoad Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Any chance of getting that reduced is worth it.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Better get busy and find yourself a traffic lawyer.Otherwise if you represent yourself you'll have to go to court plead not guilty then a couple weeks later you'll need to appear in the same court house and there's no guarantee your dispatcher can get you to court.

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  10. Hoodoo Voodoo

Hoodoo Voodoo Medium Load Member

Write the letter. Do yourself a favor write the most concerned and honestly apologetic letter that you can come up with it can't hurt. And no the judge himself may not read the letter but the court clerk or his secretary will and they will inform him or her about the contents in it. Good luck man and I hope the best for you.

AtticusRoad Thanks this.
  11. NCT_PA

NCT_PA Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Chambersburg, PA
    Hire a traffic lawyer in the jurisdiction you were in.

No, they do not have to check your logs.
    You are better off that way. If he was DOT certified and did any level of inspection, the speeding ticket would go on your CSA score.
    In that event, even if you win your speeding trial, it is nearly impossible to get it removed from CSA...
    so be happy he didn't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.