Split Breaking FRUSTRATING

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by LogsRus, Jan 20, 2007.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Do you know how hard it is to explain the split breaking in a power point? Grrr I am working on it right now and it is frustrating drawing lines (messing them up and re-doing) and trying to word it so everyone will understand! I want you guys to see it first and let me know what you think. Actually I am going to show you day 1 and you can study it, then I will send day 2 etc, I am trying to do like a 3 or 4 day of on-going split breaking and explaining. I will shoot the FMCSA if they change it again!!!!!:smt029

Day 1: I know one place I needed to say something but to change it I have to do it all over again.

Do you get the point? Should I change anything? Is anything incorrect so far?

I keep trying to attatch it and I get a data base error. I MAINLY wanted to VENT my little frustrations

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Actually, once the rules changed, I haven't done a split break since then. With the two hours being charged against my 14, there's no value to doing one where I take the two hours early, and I simply log a minimum of 10 hours whenever I stop the truck. In theory I could show 8 in the bunk and 2 hours of free time, but there is no advantage in it, so I don't bother.

4. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    You try to attach and get an error? What EXACT file type are you trying to attach? .pps? .ppt? Let me know and I'll make sure its ok...PM me, please...

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Not trying to talk you out of your thoughts, but split breaking still does work! I just don't believe allot of people have explained it well enough. It really depends on delievery times, home time (getting home sooner etc) The hours add up. If you are stuck 6 hours at a customer you will have to shut down for 8 hours (why 10) and then all driving time you didn't get to use will be gained plus you gain the hours you used prior to the customer. I guess you just need to try it and understand it etc and see how it goes. I say try to avoid it, but if you know how to do it you have another option (other than running illegal). To many people say it is not usefull anymore when it really is usefull (not as good, I know that but still works out)
    Ok I am done preaching to ya! :blah5: :blah5: to me

6. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

It is power point: The message at the top says I have used 817 kb. I divided them up and it still doesn't work
    I will see if I can post the error message (nope can't do that). It worked on my 11 & 14 hour power point, although I didn't have as much typing as this one does.

Database errorThe Truckers' Trucking Forum | Message Board | Discussion database has encountered a problem.Please try the following:
    • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    • Open the www.thetruckersreport.com home page, then try to open another page.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.
    The www.thetruckersreport.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

The "Technical Staff" has been notified? We have a technical staff now? When did that happen? Did I miss another memo or meeting? LOL!

As for the split break, let me clarify. I run regional rather than OTR, and most of my deliveries have quite a bit of leeway in their delivery times. As a result, it works out better for m when I stop to simply do the entire 10 hours and then come out of the break looking at a complete 14 hour potential work period than it does for me to split the times. Driving OTR on longer haulage, I would probably handle the log slightly different. But with my customers and my schedule, this works out the best for me. I should have clarified the regional vice OTR bit because it does affect how you look at things.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that means Cybergal.

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yeah like I said it really depends on the load time etc. Getting held up at shipper, trying to get home to momma as SOON as possible cause she is ready.:smt082 It just depends, but if they all know how to do it, it can help manage time better in some cases. Like I get many drivers saying I don't like to sit still 10 hours (heck HALF DON'T LIKE TO SIT 2 HOURS,WIRED) so it helps them keep trucking, just depends on the day. Yeah many regional I have told it depends on the load time etc. So to each is own and what they want to do! :smt050

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Logs you won't want to know how I used to manage the books.:smt083

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hmmm let me guess I get umm 3 guess's

1) Kept 2 or more log books and never turned in logs to log department because you was always confused which was which, and when they did make you turn them in you turned in 2 or 3 copies of some days and NOTHING MATCHED!
    2) You logged driving 11 & sleeping 10, but you only slept at the most 6 and logs never caught you because they was not very good auditors. (I had to slam them, sorry, I am one of the best; tee hee)
    3) Use your log book as a crayon book for your daughter or son

I hope I didn't leave any tricks out:smt044

SO ????????????????? Teach me what you truckers do to beat the system:smt023

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.