spread axle: kingpin to rear hub.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by scokat, Dec 2, 2017.

1. scokat

scokat Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013
    So i know every state has a kingpin to rear axle law, how does that work for a fixed spread axle. do they measure to the center of the spread or actually to the center of the rear hub on a 10' 1" spread. How many states actually enforce the kingpin rule besides California and Florida?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    48 foot flatbed can pretty much go anywhere with that 10 foot spread. Ive always picked on our dear neighbors in Louisana because they cannot count that high on the scales, just need to see that there is room for a Gator to fit between axles and say Im good to go. he he he.

Ive never taken a spread west of the NM area so the california I would not know. However Ive spent decades in ca with 53 box and tandems most of the way up without trouble provided the weight is legal back there.

4. orfordguy

orfordguy Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I run one all over this country.. minus the east coast.. ( no offense guys) in Oregon, California and Washington use both bridge law and axle law.. the spread at 10' can be loaded to 40k.. but Oregon and Washington will allow uplicencing to 46k.. California only recognises 40k. But or/wa both muesure from front drive axle hub center to rear axle trailer hub center.. mine measures 44' 6" which gives me the 45' bridge weight of 72k. So 40 plus 34 equals 74.. so In retro it' be hard to really overload a spread unless your full gross on all axles.. and they use the lower weight for bridge law enforcement.. most states have the bridge laws of some form.. these are the ones I'm most familiar with as there the ones who mess with me the most on this.. hope this helps.

5. scokat

scokat Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2013
    i heard the 41 ft kingpin to rear axle applies to a 53 ft trailer, and that 48 foot spread axles are good anywhere? my 48 spread has a 43' kingping to center of rear axle, wondering if i have to worry.

6. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017
    Should be ok.. just keep 1k short on max for you axles and it'll never be an issues.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    48' trailers are exempt from kingpin laws. That is why RGNs have flip axles.

8. orfordguy

Jan 21, 2017
    Maybe kingpin laws but not bridge laws.. I have a 330$ ticket issued by Washington to prove it..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.