Stacking silver

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Steel Dragon, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Bored this week.
    Bought $500 worth of half dollars at the bank.
    Nice heavy box of silver for the truck.
    No luck actually finding any silver,but spending the 1000 coins was fun.
    Cashier holds her hand out for payment,I drop $12 in her hand..she drops them all over the floor.
    Took 2 people to count $12 in half dollars.
    It says half dollar right on the coin!
    I was thinking..pay for parking?
    Make payment strickly using coins.
    :biggrin_25523::biggrin_2556::protest::sign7:

tucker and KillingTime Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Two people to count 24 coins?...... ####'s getting ridiculous.

Hand 'em a $2 bill they'd probably try to have your arrested for counterfeiting. Lol.

417bigK, Dan.S, DSK333 and 9 others Thank this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    ill gladly accept silver any day.....lol

actually if you want to search for change at face value that is worth more than face value. still lots of 100% copper penny's in circulation. most silver coins have been removed from circulation by this point. and bank rolls unless they are rolled from the bank itself are pretty much 100% not going to contain any silver coins if they come from the fed reserve. most coin sorting machines will kick out silver coins due to the differences from standard coins.
    2018-03-17 15.06.25.jpg

5. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    Sometimes a bank in bfe will have customer rolled coins.
    I figure its like playing the lotto..except no losing tickets.

Dan.S, Vic Firth and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  6. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i have searched lots of coins for silver. and nothing rolled by the fed reserve has ever contained any silver i have found a few in customer or branch rolled coins but not much. but you are right that there are no loosing tickets. my brother comes across lots of large lots of silver coinage from estates and such and sometimes when he comes across one that is too big for him to swallow ill buy a large chunk of them so he can buy them. iv ended up with a lot of silver coins at or slightly below spot silver pricing that way. most my silver purchases have been bought in large lots. iv even found several key date coins in large lots i paid basically scrap silver prices for where a small handfuls of the coins contained were worth what i paid for the entire lot. its a wise investment and can even be fun.

Grubby Thanks this.
  7. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    That’s ingenious!

8. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    here is one of the more unusual coins i have its actually not even silver nor is it all that valuable but one a lot of people wouldn't recognize if they saw it its a 1866 3 cent nickel.

3 cent nickel.jpg

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Doing my research I buy 1oz silver bars over coins, they are easier to to get rid of.

Ezrider_48501 and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  10. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    yeah i buy bullion as well. coins are cool because they are more interesting, bullion is typically a better buy. and best for resale in a bad economy. coins are good if you can buy them right because they may have more value than just there metal content as a interesting or collectible piece. i don't like to pay numismatic collector prices for coins i buy coins when i can buy them for there weight in silver value and then maybe you might get some higher value pieces in the mix. generally that happens the most when you buy from someone who has inherited a large amount of silver and they just want to dump it for some cash. people who know where there doing sell the junk coins off in lots and cherry pick the high numismatic value coins out for individual sale. having a mix is good. coins when the economy is good is better because people have money for "cool/interesting" bullion is good in a bad economy because its easy to sell silver is used in industry melted down turned into widgets investors pulling out of the stock markets ect.

its good to have a mix of numismatic and bullion. if your going to buy bullion from a big house i like to buy the 2nds from apmex on sales. sometimes you can end up with some interesting bullion. generally slightly lower premium over spot as well. esp if you watch for the sales. if you request a variety they generally give you a mix of different bullion.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  11. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    Silver rounds sales arent reported to the irs.
    :biggrin_25525:

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.