Stan Koch...thinking of going back.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Gearjammin' Penguin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    After being buttraped by Knight's joke of a container fleet for about a year, I have no choice but to go back OTR. And I'm strongly considering going back with Koch.

Now, bear in mind, this information is about 8 years old. But when I ran for them back in the late '90s, you got all the miles you could handle(how about Otay Mesa to New Jersey, when can you make it and we'll set an appointment time!?!?!), they treated you like a professional, and they had good equipment(460hp in the days when everyone ran 350's...VN610s and T600s). It was, without a doubt, the best company I've ever worked for as far as OTR went.

If anyone has some updated info, post it up. I'm going to try to find current Koch drivers to talk to and see if things are still the same. If so, I'll be back on the Red and White Fleet pretty quick. YMMV.

geargrinder Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. charnock

charnock Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Indiana
    They have changed so much. They will SAY alot of things, but what they DO is another thing. Operations and Dispatch Heads were fired from US Express and Barr Nunn. Koch has an extremely high turnover since the Operations and Dispatch were put in place. So much so, that now they hired a retired janitor from Fed Ex to be a Driver Liason ... what a joke, he is a company sqweal. Well, Koch use to be reputable, but now is pathetic at best. I wish it was even a fraction of the company it use to be. They will refuse at random, to reimburse tolls. They pay "shortest" PC Miles; most of the time you can not even drive they routes they are paying you for. They will of course dispatch you the quikest miles. GOSSIP is the order of the day in corporate, dispatch &c. Last time I was in safety they had a class of 13 new hires and the next week they were having 13 more. I asked what happened to the low turnover at which laughs broke out in succesion across the cubicles. Also, (if you go over the road) they want you out 4 or more weeks with a maximum of 4 days off; they will ussually keep you out for 1 week longer than expected. I have wondered if Koch is getting paid for new hires from the Government to claim "job creation" ; as many of the larger companies are doing these days. Well in a nutshell I surmise they are like many others, take your chances ! :biggrin_25513:

4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Sad to hear, charnock. :biggrin_25513: They really used to be a fantastic outfit.

That's a big problem with this industry--a good company can go straight to hell in a heartbeat.

5. LadyDallasDriver

LadyDallasDriver Light Load Member

May 5, 2008
    USA
  6. bigyarddog18

bigyarddog18 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2009
    pharr,texas
    Currently Koch has a high turnover in its otr division. Drivers are not happy and dm's are taking advantage of the current economic conditions to present drivers with tough take it or leave choices. If you are looking for good miles as a new driver look elsewhere. In short, this ain't the company it used to be.

7. truckerswife1

truckerswife1 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Hi, I was just reading the post about Koch and I am now a little nervous. My husband is set for orientation there in late August, but after reading these post, we are both wondering if we made the right decision. Does anyone else have any new updates on Koch that they could offer. It seemed like a great company, and there was only one negative post on here, so thought I would just check and see.

8. bigyarddog18

Jul 18, 2009
    pharr,texas
    Is Koch as bad as say Covenant? No! Is it as good as the very best companies? No. The take home message is that there are very few "good trucking companies" operating in the current economy (from the driver's perspective). It is clear to the companies that for every good driver that leaves there will be another 3 good drivers trying to get in - and the vast majority of companies are treating their drivers accordingly. Unless your current company is really abusing you, I strongly recommend you don't change and come in at the bottom of the heap as an new driver in otr -the worst division at Koch. Let me emphasize this applies towards those thinking about quitting their current company and going to ANY other company (not just Koch). The longer I am in this line of work the clearer it is that a good driver will succeed in any reputable company - in other words a rose is a rose is a rose. If your husband is a good company driver with a trackrecord of success in his previous companies he should expect the same level of success at Koch. It aint about the company. Should you be concerned about your orientation in August? No. All orientations are basically the same. I hope this helps in some way.

9. truckerswife1

truckerswife1 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks Yarddog for the reply. That helped alot. He has been with the same company for 5 years and really hates to leave, loose his vacation and all, but sometimes ya gotta go. He has chosen KOCH mostly because of the APU units that they have.

You mentioned it is not as good as one of the best companies. In your opinion what would be one of the best companies, just out of curiosity?

Thanks for all the info.

10. bigyarddog18

Jul 18, 2009
    pharr,texas
    I think a one good indicator of a great company is low driver turnover. Koch has an average rate so it is probably an average trucking company. BTW a lot of companies have apu's these days. Find a company with low driver turnover and get the job first before moving.

11. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Koch...OTR division

Running about 1800 or so (2100 a week on a good week)

Its slow out here folks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trucks are V670... very nice

450 hp

9 speed

65 mph

APU's also

120v electric sockets on the inside for your microwave and whatnot

The lease guys can turn theirs up to 72 mph (i think)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very decent people to work with as far as work ethic goes.
    But like any other company they will fire you
    for doing bad things...all companies are quite fascist in this respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Luck to you :yes2557:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.