Standard Transmissions

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Iwannahaulheavy, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Iwannahaulheavy

Iwannahaulheavy Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Hello everyone,

New to the forums and will be filling my mental sponge with all the info I can gather here.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed but I couldn’t really find answers in other posts.

I have decided to make a career change and I’m regretting not doing it sooner but life kinda has a funny way of throwing curve balls.

Anyways… I’m going to be getting my license in the next month or so and I’m EDD is paying for the training. My concern is being sent to a school that trains on automatics and having that restriction on my license. There are schools locally that offer both Auto and Standard but I don’t know if EDD will give me a choice. If I have to end up paying out of pocket to go to a school that uses Standard Trans for the training and drive tests I will but that’s definitely not my first choice.
    I know I can go the company sponsored route but the idea of a contract makes my skin crawl so that avenue will definitely be a last resort.

I’ve wanted to drive a truck since I was a kid and have driven Class B as well as a lot of heavy equipment during my construction career. I’ve always been seduced by the idea of driving down the road pulling machinery, grabbing gears and rolling coal.

I know there is a mass exodus with company’s going the Automatic route and I get it from their standpoint but I’m not interested in putting a semi in Drive and holding the wheel and driving down the road with my head up my ###.

Long story short….Are there any companies hiring new drivers that still supply trucks with Standard Transmissions? I hate to bring politics in on this but I view Automatics as the “Liberal/Democrats” of the trucking world.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?
    I've been driving a long time and would never hire on with a company that only uses stick shifts.

4. Iwannahaulheavy

Oct 10, 2021
    I’m in Southern California. I’m not necessarily looking for a company that only has Stick Shift but I am looking for a company that gives you the option to choose.

Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Flatbed heavy haul? Most of those use stick shifts and off road trucks use stick shift.
    Leavitt's Freight Service is heavy haul and hires new cdl school grads in California.
    ~
    Truck Driving Companies Oregon - Leavitt’s Freight Service
    The web site has 12 mos. experience required, but some ads have "new grads from approved schools"

6. Iwannahaulheavy

Oct 10, 2021
    Thanks. I’ll take a look at the website.

7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    There's a hellva alot more to too it than just ( grabbing gears and rolling coal ) especially if you think your gonna go heavy hauling... from your original post it sounds like you already have your head half way up your rectum..
    You best start reining in your pony there cowboy

Dockbumper and exACT driver Thank this.
  8. Iwannahaulheavy

Oct 10, 2021
    Nothing in your reply stands out as being helpful or informative. I didn’t realize I had to name all of the ins and outs of what it takes to be a driver and I didn’t realize I would be dealing with the PC Police. I was simply illustrating what gives me the motivation to want to be a trucker. There’s always someone that trolls comments. If you don’t like what was said in my post then roll your eyes and move on like a grown up.

9. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Here's my philosophy, avoid restrictions whenever you can.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Tried to give you a helpful hint .. by suggesting you rein it in alittle .. but since your 1 of those Jack wagons that already knows it all even thou you haven't got your CDL. Good luck to you...
    Obviously Buttercup you get butt hurt real easily.

11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Greetings Iwannahaulheavy and Welcome To TruckersReport!!

I drove 2 similar yet different Freightshaker Models over an 8 year period with Auto-shift and Clutches.
    They both ran like scalded Dogs (claimed by Owner to cover 100 mph, I never tested) and pulled whatever Legal put in 53' Air Ride Dry Vans, Pond to Pond.
    I started in late '98 on Straight Drive.
    Preferred Reverse 9 (Pete), Standard 10, Super 10, and 13 (Frightshaker[some were spooky], K-Whopper, Corn-binder, Mack, Ford.

I'm officially out of the game, Retired, Care Giver, A to C this year.

You'll Do Well!!
    CHEERS!!

Iwannahaulheavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.