start food grade tanker mon.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by natemn57, Jan 1, 2012.

1. natemn57

natemn57 Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Fergus Falls MN
    Start monday for veissman,any pros,cons, to hauling food grade tanker,does hfcs slosh around and is good money:biggrin_25520:to be made.I'll be getting paid % of load

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    From what I've seen food grade pays less than chemicals . There is a food grade account in town here . My boss bid on it a few years ago and said he bid so low he was afraid he'd get it . Another carrier underbid him and they are always advertising for help .
    I knew a driver in one of our terminals that lost a food grade account to Prime . I talked to one of the drivers and he said the terminal owner was glad to be rid of the account . The rate was so low he never wanted the account but the corporate office pressured him to take it .

natemn57 and TheRedskinsWay Thank this.
  4. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    "From what I've seen food grade pays less than chemicals"

agreed. does anyone have opinions on why that is the case?

natemn57 Thanks this.
  5. Gr8oldies

Gr8oldies Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    My guess would be haz-mat

natemn57 Thanks this.
  6. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    Food grade used to be really cheap. I looked to get into it once but it was a considerable pay cut compared to chemicals.

7. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    what is hfcs?

8. MayhemTrucking

MayhemTrucking Heavy Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Denham Springs, La.
    High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  9. cc tanker

cc tanker Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio
    I got my start doing foodgrade late 80's early 90's...pay was horrible but the experience was priceless...spent about 5 years of my life making very little money for the time invested but I worked for one of the best men in the industry and gained a world of knowledge that has helped me ...IMHO foodgrade is the best place to gain tanker exp. give it some time learn the ropes and then move on to hazmat..

shriner75 Thanks this.
  10. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    I don't know what to tell ya, us food grade guys make about even with what the fuel haulers out here do. I don't think I'd ever want to do Haz-Mat, it's not worth all the hassle for a little extra pay....Having baffles must be nice though....

11. shriner75

shriner75 Heavy Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Minnesota, dontcha know...
    I agree with SmoothBore, I as well do food grade (soy oils) and also inedibles and the pay is pretty decent. I work for a small company but they treat and pay well enough that I dont complain and their turnover is very low. I was lucky to get this job cause the guy I replaced went to the oil fields.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.