Start school in Fort Wayne on April 4th

Discussion in 'PAM' started by PapaGrizzly, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    As a trainer, I will say that no one can teach you how to back. All we can do is show you the basics. You have to figure out how to do it on your own. We help you as much as we can, but it just comes down to a personal style. I never do a back the same way twice. My set up is always different. I just know how to correct while I'm backing. All it takes is repetitions. And practice :)

Electric_Hyena Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Electric_Hyena

Electric_Hyena Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I'm not going for Pam or DS. I'm going with USA Truck. Considering I get the $1,200 bonus they offered for going to class now (if I complete), I could care less if I have to pay $400 back to USA, IF they even make me. I still pocket $800 that I had no idea I would get. I'm just happy to be learning to drive to get my CDL so I can go OTR and enjoy myself. I picked this career out of enjoyment in the OTR career, not the need for income. I'm already a college graduate as an X-ray Tech, so all I need to do is focus on the hands on stuff I cannot get from a book.

My dad told me something I thought was good to remember. Backing constitutes 1% of what you do, and so it will always be the hardest. And like you said, its different every time, so learning to adapt and counter is very important. I will for sure do my best to listen to everything my trainers tell me and if offered a chance for extra practice, take it take it take it! lol

4. PapaGrizzly

PapaGrizzly Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Port Huron MI
    You have a great attitude to start with so you will do great. Remember to stop by room 116 and say hi. My name is Tom and my roommates is Travis. Have a safe trip tomorrow.

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ah I thought you were going for PAM sorry. You'd think USA would be the same if you're going through Driver Solutions? Meh, what do I know. lol From what I've heard from my students, PAM is also giving a $1200 sign on bonus. $200 when you finish C1, then the $1000 over some time with PAM. Who knows.

Your dad is right, backing does constitute about 1% of what we do, BUT, there is no point in driving if you dont know how to back. You cant get loaded or unloaded without doing it. hehe...Another thing I tell my guys is to back as little as possible. If you can nose into a spot, do it. But make sure that you'll be able to get out. If you can pull through, even better. BUT...why do that instead of learning how to back? I always say do that stuff AFTER you learn how to back. When I first started, I would leave every morning at about 4 or 5am, so I'd be shutting down early in the day, when it would be easy to find a good parking spot. I would back a few times before I shut it down completely. Even if there was ONE truck in the parking lot, I'd put it right next to him. Sure, I got a lot of pissed off looks, but I told them I was just practicing, and that I would move away after a back or two, and they calmed down. Hell, sometimes they'd even come help me or offer me some pointers. After, I'd go off to the other side of the lot and shut down for the night. You wont get better unless you practice, and you won't practice if you never take the time. :)

6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I preferred to do backing practice in company yards when it wasn't to busy.

Anyway C1 is a goofy place but you can make it work. I drove there from Southern Michigan so I was glad I had my own transportation. I did think if was frustrating waiting in line and taking turns so much so after class I would go back in the evening to Pretrip and I even sat in the Cab reviewing the Gear Shift and trying to get the rhythm of it down.

After that I did 2 years with PAM and covered my tuition. I won't say it was very lucrative but if you get yourself in a situation with limited bills or no rent you can still get ahead. I was able to dig myself out of debt and now aside from medical bills I am nearly debt free.

So out on the road I just recommend living cheaply which can be done. Get XM radio and pick up some paperback books. I didn't bother with a TV and I didn't miss it at all.

7. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    This is good, but I'm sure you noticed that PAM yards were mainly POS hellholes with trailers strewn around every where lol I prefer empty truck stops, and utilizing some well placed Pilot trash cans, and myself as a truck (no fat jokes please lol), my guys usually find it very helpful.

Agreed. Sure, PAM doesnt pay much, but hey, I'd like you to tell me a starting company that does. (seriously, I'll go there if it's worth it! lol).. But as video said, live cheap and get your bills paid off. Currently, I have approx $300 a month I pay in bills. I have my cell phone, and a credit card bill which only has my monthly lawyer service. I have no rent, since I just stay at my folks house whenever I go home. My car is paid off, so I have no car payment, no gas bill since I never drive it, no insurance since I never drive it...hell I think I'll sell it. Anyone want a '05 Civic? lol When solo, I draw maybe $700 a week, and when training I can pull in between $1000-$1400 a week depending on how hard I feel like running. Add those four weeks, subtract $300 in bills and maybe $150 on living, and I'm putting anywhere between $2500-$4000 a month straight into my savings account. So, if you stick it out with PAM, or USA or hell maybe even Swift or Schneider...it does start getting better.

8. PapaGrizzly

PapaGrizzly Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Port Huron MI
    Well i made it to the end of school and have now passed. There were some good things about the school and training and some bad. I would have to say the good has out weighed the bad, for me anyways. For me it was a cold, wet and miserable time on the backing range. You were never more thankful when the guy ahead of you finally got done and it was your turn to jump in the truck for your range time. I never did mine in a hurry, took my time, not because i didnt want to make any mistakes but just because i didnt want to get of the warm truck into cold and rain lol

The school trains you just good enough so you can pass and get your license. But i didnt stop there, when ever i had time i would ask the range and road instructors about there time on the road and life over the road. They were all happy to answer any questions about otr driving and about real life situations your going to get into. My road instructor was a good guy, after i passed my road test he would take us out everyday and put us in real life situations just so we had alittle more knowledge about driving before we got out of school. MY favorite was the short off ramps. One day he took me down the expressway and we did nothing but get off off ramps that had really short run offs until the stop or had a sharp corner almost as soon as you got off the highway.

But anyways if any wannabes or students want any info about school in fort wayne feel free to ask. I will be around these forums for a very long time.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me great advice and guidance during my journey to become a truck driver.

9. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    I've heard a lot of bad reviews of the hotel. Hallmark Inn, right?

Right on, back a few years ago prostitiues operated out of there. A few would walk up and down the street going slightly west(away from the cloverleaf off ramp). Nowdays lots of drunk, drug types still stay there. Honest to god,,,,, Since you are a paying type, the owners will kind of warn them against bothering you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.