Starting a business late in the year

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by loudtom, Dec 15, 2016.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I will talk to an accountant about our taxes. I just want to have some knowledge going into it so I can understand and work with them on it. If they suggest using a cash system instead of an accrual system, I won't have to just nod my head and blindly accept whatever they are going to do because I will have researched it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Exactly why I ask questions on here, too. It helps to get background knowledge. Unfortunately, half the people that respond think they're wise axx comedians or belittling dopes.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    NO I mean getting on the road working for someone else to get how this works, then figure out if you want to go the route to an authority or being leased to a company - there is an advantage to the latter.

ALL before you buy a truck.

You didn't fill in your background so there is an assumption that you have no experience, let alone have a cdl. Too many people read about the successes, the big bucks and see it is an easy thing to get into - I am against the crackerjack authority and cdl by the way.

YOU get the accountant before you get the company formed, you get the lawyer before you get into an accident. See what I'm getting at.

YOU need to learn what to ask by asking questions to them and interact with them. YOU don't run to the first accountant you see in the yellow pages but interview them to see if they will fit into your vision of your business.

So all the smart*** comments, you need to ignore them or just take them as part of what you will face in this business.

SoDel Thanks this.
  5. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    You could have just as easily assumed I've driven a truck before and offered advice relevant to the topic.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  6. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    I agree with Ridge. I haven't been around here long, but in the short time that I have, the "I just purchased a truck, now what?" scenario has played many times. Your lack of info in your OP made it sound just like the others. Ridge really tried to help you in his last post. His version of the high road olive branch thing. I commend him for that. Yet still, you smart off to him. I will admit the truck quip made me spit out my beef stew.

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    NO it wasn't obvious because it is said too many times before by people who are clueless nevertheless you still didn't tell us a thing so we can't keep telling you an answer of what to ask for when we don't know what you know.

YOU get the accountant BEFORE you get the truck, you settle all of these issues long before you decide to act. YOU overthought the cash/accrued ledger issue it is irrelevant to owner operators because they deal with a cash system only, fleet owners of my size have to go to the accrued accounting.

AND here is my really big pet peeve, when someone is offended by off topic comments and then makes this comment 'offered advice relevant to the topic' it makes any effort to help them rather worthless on our part because it shows either they have their mind made up and really want to justify their decision - that happens a lot here - or they just want one answer that is supposed to be the 'one' answer.

So to answer YOUR original question - you have to ask that of an accountant. DO not depend on a tax preparer unless they are an EA, do not depend on a forum member to tell you what you can do or don't do when it comes to taxes because it all depends on YOUR situation.

8. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I think the point the OP is trying make here is that there was no need for the negative posts. I understand those that reply often here get tired of the same newbies coming in asking the same questions over and over can be frustrating but you don't have to respond. You could just as easily ignore them and move on. If the OP, or whoever else doesn't get what they need then so be it.

loudtom Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I somewhat agree but again if you want a good answer, you have to put up with others and what they think is correct.

As I just said the following to another newbie,

We poke holes into these ideas to help you. If you are so discourage or get upset well you need to look at what you're going to be doing as a lot harder. We have the experience to see where the pitfalls are and are not, where people failed in the past and what makes it a success.

One of the biggest problems in this business is not listening to everything and getting defensive over the answers, this has been a trend lately here - people demanding that we stick to an answer they can use and only that.

If you have a stupid idea (which this isn't) and people tell you it is, you should listen to them maybe not act but at least listen to what is said.

What's frustrating for us is the fact many of us do not like to see failure but so many people ask a question, look for an answer that fits their need to justify their action and then get mad at (take your pick) the company, the bank, the shipper or whom ever but never themselves when they FAIL.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  10. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    It looks like we will likely take a NOL(net operating loss) for 2016 and carry it over into next year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.