Starting a dump truck business.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rookiex1290, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Rookiex1290

Rookiex1290 Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm going to start a dump truck business around March of next year I've been reading,pricing studying,making contacts here in Columbus Ohio where the DT market is HOT I've been studying for my CDL CLP and so forth. Tuesday I take the CLP and that phase of my push forward will be complete. I I've got 30,000 in capital(start up) but I'll have 40,000 or possibly 50,000 by February. I plan on buying a used tri or quad axle but if I can find a sweet enough deal I'll go bigger. My credit is in the 740-750 range so I should be able to get a truck with money down and I'll have 20000 left over for repairs start up costs and the like. My question is I know I need a USDOT number and to pay the road usage tax an the State PUCO registration and number but why does a dump truck require a MC number being as it is "intrastate" travel? I won't be crossing state lines and also a fuel tax sticker being as I won't be leaving the state either? The terminology when reading the rules is kind of funny because in states you need these items for interstate travel with altered good from their original state and of course the fuel tax and registration for that because one states tax on fuel is different from another? Can anyone clear this up for me?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Reason for edit: adding information.
    6rider and Dominick253 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I suggest you go to work for a dump truck outfit for a little while before you jump right in and buy one. Around here the dump truck business is pretty tough. Maintenance cost can be pretty high compared to other trucking jobs. Job sites can be brutal on things like tires, and getting stuck. Can you spread a load of gravel to where somebody doesn't have to come back behind you to straighten it up?

Dump truck market may be hot now but it won't last too long. I've seen it all before. You've got a bunch of big projects going on in your area and there aren't enough trucks around to handle the volume and rates are high. Everybody in their brother that has a CDL goes out and buys a dump truck to get in on the action. Eventually the market is flooded with trucks, things slow down a little, and rates drop like a rock.

4. Rookiex1290

Jul 16, 2016
    I do agree, I'll be doing some driving with a family friend here after next week get as much time under my belt as I can. I looked at the construction road project bids for 2017 on the ODOT page and there are a TON of projects coming up next year,I've been meeting a greeting every friend of a friend or family friend who owns a dump or in a few cases several trucks.I have very little bills I would only have my house payment and my truck as of other bills during a slow down my wife makes allot more money than I would even with a dump and she has insurance that's very good (she went to college). I work swing shift and make decent money but I'm ready to have a normal-ish life. My step dad owned 2 seven axle Macks growing up but I haven't spoke to him in years so I know that it's a job even when the truck stops. I've owned diesels my whole life and can work on them on my on (that's why I don't have a truck payment) lol. I also know that coming in it with no contacts would be very hard but I've been networking hard and have allot of bigger outfits who are family friends who are going to get my foot in the door and give me a little push. I know it's not easy and I know it's going to be allot of work but I figure if I can work 12 hours a day in a factory swinging shifts to make the rich man richer why not try working 12 hours a day for as long as I can (season permitting) to make myself rich. Better to try and fail than to never know trying at all.

HopeOverMope and Dominick253 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I never thought about that, but that's a good point dump truck could be feast or famine. Probably some big dump truck companies have contracts with there buddies and they get all the work and stay busy when times are slow. Maintenance would be my big thing you have a hydrolic line or what ever break and it could cost you nothings cheap with these big trucks. I would love to see the company I work for there fleet maintenance budget it has to be a huge chunk of change.

My question is where are you getting your work from for your dump truck business? I have zero interest in doing dump truck well I would drive snow plow for ODOT, but that's about as much dump truck as I would ever want to do it's just not on my radar, but I mean are you passing out flyers to construction companies saying "Hire Me" or do you go to some gravel yard and they drop some gravel in you and hand you a slip of paper and say go meet Joe and ABC Road Construction and you just go back and fourth from the gravel yard all day?

I'm kind of ignorant to the ways of the dump truck world. However just keep in mind maintenance will cost more then you want and if you have a driver working for you forget it they break everything I don't mean serious things, but stupid stuff they shouldn't be messing with or break they will break.

I had a small town car service and I had three cars well my friend drove for me and he was very well meaning, but he broke one of my rear view mirrors pushing it out and pulling it back in. Well a power mirror on a modern day car is quite expensive. You hire drivers they will break things, it's just what they do. Either that or if they don't break anything big they will throw garbage and trash around the truck no problem. I don't know what it is I could drive my car just fine and not have a problem throw the keys to someone else and they will tear it all up. It's just a strange phenomenon.

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I don't know what the pay structure is where you are but here they pay by the hour per axle. so the more axles you have the more the hourly pay because you can haul more payload.

Dominick253 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. Rookiex1290

Jul 16, 2016
  8. joe016

joe016 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Yup I would suggest like everyone else say go try working for someone else see how it goes it not as easy as you think you can go broke real fast like if you have a headgasket goes out $8000 to $12000 then make sure you going to get regular work is it seasonal work there are you getting pay hourly or by the tons etc.
    Like I say a truck you have problems with can take you to the cleaner.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Around here trucks usually work out of the rock quarry or work job sites.

Quarry work usually pays per ton with more depending on distance. These people mostly work for the quarry hauling their loads as they come and they will also pick up some gravel customers of their own. Quarry work pays the best and is the most stable as the quarries only allow so many trucks on the list and they take care of their best ones with some people requesting certain trucks when they call in.

Job site work is almost always hourly work and is usually the bottom of the barrel. They will take anybody with a dump truck and if they can find somebody to work $5 a hour less than you, they will send you packing. Sometimes they will pay you per load on a dedicated haul, this usually screws you because they know there will be delays on busy job sites and is why they don't want to pay you by the hour.

Dump truck work slows way down during wet or freezing weather. If you ever have a load of gravel or dirt freeze in the bed, you've got problems. Asphalt work usually shuts down in the winter also.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Over here in Pennsylvania dump trucks are lucky to make 65 bucks an hour to the truck. I'm not sure how that compares to right next door in Ohio. That doesn't really sound too lucrative

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I didn't know that individual trucks would access the contracting bidding process, usually the contractor bids on the work, hires the truck or other companies to do the work.

roshea and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.