Starting a Frac Sand Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Safeclean Services, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Golabraun

Golabraun Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2012
    It would you will need a scale ,,sand and equipment to clean the sand mix it and very special ingredients ,, all sand is not made alike ..
    You wouldn't want to roll in the sand they pump into the well ..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Thanks , for the info.
    I am actually looking for the spec of the base sand.
    Is it silica?
    I am just a trucker but I want to get ahead of the curve on this.
    As there are only a few sand hauliers here who serve the construction and foundry markets there will be a gross shortage of pneumatic trailers.
    We also have some mega carriers (relative to size if our market) .
    They will be the ones to put the hundreds of trucks in to the market.
    I want to set up a sand mine and haul the base sand to a central point.
    Got to start with the correct base sand.

4. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Yes some sand used for fracing is silica some is manmade ceramic propant and some is just regular sand. Sillica is the most common form and usually has to be screened down to 20/40 or 30/50 but all of the sand used has to be tested to see if it can withstand high pressures.

king Q Thanks this.
  5. little ant

little ant Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2011
    if your in need of pneumatic trailers or a complete frac sand hauling rig or sand suppliers that ship by rail car to,..inland or ports,.. let me know,.. i have the hook up on all three issues you may encounter,...

king Q Thanks this.
  6. __latin__

__latin__ Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
  7. ke5adb

ke5adb Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stillwater, Ok
    That almost sounds like what Modern and Native does. I hate those two companies as much as SNI. When I hauled Frac sand, I worked for Thompson. We'd pull sand from Cleburne to PA for 250/ton and 60/hr (give 2 hours/day). I stayed in PA for 6 months for Thompson and hauled with Valley Bulk Transportation. We've also hauled for Frac-tech in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and PA. Hauled a lot for Weatherford, Universal, BJ, and Halliburton. Tried the Vernal, UT runs a few times, but couldn't get a backhaul. We ran alot with Tutle & Tutle, FDF, Sandstone, and a few others. It sucked standing in the 115 degree heat with FRs and nothing but a hot breeze. We made a chunk of change when we started out, but once everybody and their dog started buying tanks, people started cutting the demurge down, and the rate. The work started getting sporadic, and that's when I quit. Most of the people I know went back to hauling cows, pulling hoppers and flats. I think a couple of friends are hauling for JKM now, but I haven't heard from them in a while. I miss hauling sand, but I like consistency.

8. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    I worked for Valley Bulk when I first moved to PA, I think they had all but gotten out of the sand business by the time I started. They did a little of it here and there while I was employed there, but we mostly did cement and lime loads. John has since picked up a lot of flatbed work, and has completely updated his entire fleet. He was a good guy to work for and gives his drivers some dang good equipment to run.

9. ke5adb

ke5adb Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stillwater, Ok
    I absolutely loved hauling for them. Me and Andy ran around on the 4 wheelers on the weekends, and John had me over at their house for barbeque and dinner all the time. They treated me like family the whole time I was there.

10. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    They're good people for sure, I just wasn't ready for the geographical change of working in PA after living in Florida my entire life. I stayed for a little over 4 months, and have sinced hauled water for the last year but will be returning home to Florida in the next few weeks. It's not everyday you run across a company like Valley, in my 10 years of driving I can say I only worked for 2 companies that treated you like family, and they were one of them. I have a buddy starting with them tomorrow.

11. ke5adb

ke5adb Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stillwater, Ok
    I pretty much lived in the truck when I was there, they let me use the shower. Did they ever get that old cabover going?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.