Starting a Frac Sand Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Safeclean Services, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    I hauled sand and got 23 percent of the truck. that includes demerge"waiting" and hauling and yes the best money is in the waiting! sometimes days not hours. I didn't own, but I saw all of the tickets for what I hauled. there are a lot of companies out there now and more everyday. I get calls to come drive for some very good companies and some very bad ones. so do your homework. good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. casl37

casl37 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2011
    san antonio, texas
    Anyone Know anything about frac tech? Saw the plant close to the highway when I drove 37 south of San Antonio. Seems like a big operation

4. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    Give it a try the companies will love taking your money

5. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    Be careful my contract was never honored. I had to look elsewhere

6. casl37

casl37 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2011
    san antonio, texas
    Texan007,

Was it frac tech that didn't honor your contract? Any good companies you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Casl37

7. johnpwrc

johnpwrc Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    PA
    Hey Safeclean - My business partner and I are thinking along the same lines as you. We've conducted a lot of the same due diligence - and reached a similar conclusion that Frac Sand Hauling seems likes like a good route to take in northeast PA. We're planning on getting into the game small with 2 trucks around May 2012, but then growing rapidly to a fleet of 10 within a year.

To Tardis's point though; I have concern about 3 things.

1. That the big boys (like Schneider) may come in and gobble up the work for a low price.

2. That the frac sand work might become over saturated, much in the same way water has in northeast PA. Seems like everyone is in the water game, which has pushed rates down. I've even heard rumors that the oil and gas field service companies (Cudd, Trican, Vertex, Halliburton, etc...) have new rules for 2012 which prohibit small fleet trucking operators (sub contractors) from hauling water anymore.

3. No availability of pneumatic frac sand trailers. Seems like you can't touch a new one until May 2012 at the earliest.

Anyone else have the same concerns or can comment on my thoughts?

I welcome the ideas of others!

John

8. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    John, we haul water and are relatively small a fleet of 8 but we work directly for companies like chesapeake energy and the frac companies like haliburton arent who hires us.

9. God's Kid

God's Kid Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Parker
    Try Dragon Trailers out of LaPorte, TX, for Frac-tanks. They also may have a line of used tanks as well, and or refurbished tanks. There's another tank company in MS, can't think of their name. Try R and K Mfg., Dayton, TX. Another one in Rhome, TX., can't remember their name either.

10. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Where I need to be.
    You don't have to worry about hundreds of trucks with NEW pneumatics driving the rates down. There are hundreds of trucks with OLD pneumatics already doing exactly that. I have talked with several sand haulers in the last couple weeks who only managed to haul 2 loads apiece the last 3 months, all because there are to many trucks. Wait time at location does not make up for lost revenue due to waiting to be sent a load offer.

And that is exactly the way that the companies want it to be. They want the market flooded with equipment of every category so that they can demand the lowest possible rate. It has been that way for the flatbed / stepdeck fleet for years......now it is time for those pulling tanks to experience it.

Big John Thanks this.
  11. chickenlittle379

chickenlittle379 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Gunter, Texas
    I haul frac sand and it is slow and has been slow but when it rolling you can make some money but is very boring and you better have apu food and entertainment or you will go nuts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.