Starting a Frac Sand Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Safeclean Services, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Safeclean Services

Safeclean Services Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Northeast PA
    Schneider is setting up a bulk tank operation in the Horseheads NY area and from what I have been told they are going to be hauling frac sand and cement.I was told they will have a few hundred pneumatic tanks to start.I was talking to a third party recruiter who is running an ad on craigslist for drivers for Schneider.I called just to see what their deal was.This guy was a totally clueless fool who was trying to tell me what a great deal it was.They are paying $10 an hour waiting time.He told me you will be home everyday.I laughed when he said $10 an hour,and asked him how you could be home everyday when you can be stuck with a load for 2 or 3 days and you can't go home.He actually hung up on me.He called me back about an hour later and forgot he talked to me already.I didn't let on that we talked already,and then I told him I was the guy he hung up on,and he started to tell me "well this is what Schneider pays!,so maybe you better stay where your at!" I laughed at him again and he hung up again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

#### they oughta just come buy me out and have an outfit already up and running. Sounds like it's about time to get out anyway the rates are #### sure gonna go to ####.

4. oildriver

oildriver Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Belfield ND
    Be careful!!! One of the large transportation companies out her in ND has opened up a new shop in the PA area and they are sending a sh@!load of sand cans that way. Not sure how many but I drove by one of their ND yards and saw a hundred new trucks and was later told most were headed that way. No facts here, just hearsay, but all the same, be careful.

5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    They can put 500 trucks on the ground the problem is finding drivers.

Sand Trooper Thanks this.
  6. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    I have a friend who started his own co. a few years back and now has about 7 O/O's hauling sand cans for him. he's been trucking since 1973 (all as an O/O) and has done just about every kind of hauling imaginable (reefer, electronics, trade shows, stepdeck, flat, DD, O/D, all sorts of liquid and dry bulk tankers with hazmat, etc.. If you don't know what you're getting into (every specialized type of hauling has it's own quirks), you are going to learn a lot of things the hard way and they are going to cost you time, money and embarassment with your customers. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in that business and you should really start out with someone who knows what they are doing. I ran bulk tanker for awhile for ADM and was constantly learning how to "put out fires" because I was new to that type of hauling.

Also, if you want to get good rates, I would not recommend posting all the particulars of what you want to do on the internet sites. You're just asking for readers who aren't making good money to start checking out your very idea. The less people that know your specific idea, the better. Just ask some very general questions without giving away the whole idea.

Wish you well though.

7. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    they'll find someone to put in them~ they always do...

8. SLVBOLT04

SLVBOLT04 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2010
    Schneider has been in the oilfield for the past years, hauling liquid gel to frac jobs. And they still do. I know because I worked a few years for Halliburton Frac. Here in Texas. The only question is, What will Schneider do when the oilfield drops out like it does every so many years. That's alot of investment for pneumatic sand tanks, blowers to sit. Will they invade another part of the market. I.E. Cement, Fly Ash. For years, small companies in here Texas had the contracts with energy companies and service companies I.E. halliburton, Shlumberj, Weatherford, Baker Hughes. The Good ol boy way of doing business. But now these big OTR companies want to come in and take it. Will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully the rates will not drop to much. This is the OILFIELD. And not general freight.

New Sand Tank $73,000 w/F.E.T

New Blower Installed $8,800

As for the truck. Well any junk truck if you want. I prefer a Pete 379EXHD

A used blower half the cost of new installed. But You pay for what you get.

9. AC22

AC22 Medium Load Member

May 6, 2010
    Williston, ND
    Missouri Basin?

10. denton

denton Light Load Member

our last set of sand haulers waited 7 days before blowing off.

11. AC22

AC22 Medium Load Member

May 6, 2010
    Williston, ND
    On location!?!? Someone at the service company is gonna get a butt chewing. Detainment time...wow!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.