Starting a Frac Sand Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Safeclean Services, Dec 31, 2011.

1. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Detention time is the best especially when it is full rate and for days at a time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. denton

denton Light Load Member

Yep,...........

4. AC22

AC22 Medium Load Member

May 6, 2010
    Williston, ND
    A lot of newbie sand haulers up here have decided to cut rates in half on detainment time and eat an hour on each end. This wasn't done in ND until the past few months. Idiotic.:biggrin_25513:

5. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Yea it's been that way in Wy for awhile can't understand why they Wang to give it away. Lucky for me I don't haul much sand and what I do haul is fairly vital to the whole process, which translates into full rate detention.

6. sandman02

sandman02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    floresville
    Hi email me I'm in the frac now and have good and bad news to share kelley79sa@gmail.com

I'm doing similar research in the south Texas area with the Eagle Ford boom. I have similar concerns regarding future supply and demand. I'd hate to make the investment only to have hundreds of new pneumatics running driving the rates down, or a big company walmart-ing our way out. #I drove the major highway near the area and counted 20 pneumatics in just over an hour.#

I can invest in a couple of fully equipped trucks, but I'd like to have a better idea of the rates and the amount of work out there. What are the rates like in PA? In an ideal world I'd like to have a contract in place, or close to it, before signing for the pneumatics. I believe I have a good connection and could get them without having to wait in a line behind 140 back orders. This would help beat the rush, but I'm still blind regarding the amount of work in the south Texas area for the very specific task of frac sand transport. # ##

Does anyone know reputable companies around San Antonio that would be willing to contract for one or two trucks with expectations of a least a year of business? Does anyone else want to chime in?#

Thanks in advance,

Casl37[/QUOTE]

7. sandman02

sandman02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    floresville
  8. sandman02

sandman02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    floresville
    Schneider is out they can't fix problems fast enough for oil field. To bad.

9. unclebilly

unclebilly Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I work for one of the frac companies mentioned in this thread. We are active in the Marcellus and the Eagleford and numerous other places in the US, Canada, Russia, Australia, North Africa. I am an engineer in management who owns a Mack dump truck for use on my farm and stumbled across this thread...

$2.50 gas is not economic for the producers so almost all dry gas plays in North America do not make sense (the drilling, completion, and production costs do not justify the returns). The Marcellus currently works (but just barely) because the gas is close to market. The Eagleford works because the lower Eagleford is liquids (oil) rich.

If the price of gas drops any further, frac'ing the Marcellus will be a thing of the past until we get $4.00 gas again.

I think that it is too late to get onto this 'gold rush', the opportunities were there 2 years ago. The Eagleford may be a better option than the Marcellus until gas prices turn around.

One key thing to think about in the Marcellus is maneuverability. Those leases are tight and the terrain is very mountainous compared with other US oil and gas plays. Also all drivers may be subject to random on site drug testing, so you need to be sure your drivers are clean.

The other option is to throw in a resume with one of the service companies. Come work for us and learn about the industry and see if it is for you before taking on a bunch of debt for air cans.

10. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Yeah I've noticed alot of wells around here being drilled but no big frac jobs going on.

11. j rick gould

j rick gould Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    floral ar
    I was reading about somebody wanting to get into the sand hauling business and am responding to his/her letter. I have two trucks hauling sand in Texas and can tell you that they made money as long as I could keep them in Texas, but I am based out of North Central Arkansas so bringing my Trucks home every couple of weeks was killing me in fuel costs. If I lived in Tx,Pa.ND,La or OK I would buy more Trucks but I'm not moving so I am thinking of selling my two trucks. There is money in the sand hauling business and I don't see an end to it very soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.