starting a l/p on 5/3

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by boston bill, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Keeping my eyes on this good luck..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Good luck, in the end the money is not importian, it's the goal to finishing your lease and gaining the expierance to function independently from the company. I am also doing a least not for the truck, but for the expierance to run my own busyness.

You our will have guys say .90 is cheap and it is, but I would love to make .90 cents when im dead heading 300 miles for that next load. Also fuel surcharge down not cover your complete cost of fuel you will still be dipping into that .90 cents, pluses your taxes, medical insurance, cost for CPA and putting money aside for vehicle maintance. The actuality of it is that you will probably make around 60 to 70 cents IMO.. So if this is for the money plan on there being very little, but if it is to own your own truck then rock on.

In in the end the truth is that even if we where to save our money for years in a bank and buy a truck from a dealer, we all work for the company, we are all still at there mercy, the big company's are hauling freight for nothing, it will not be long before we have an influx of out of country drivers running freight for .19 cents a mile!! I pray God has his hand in your business and that you get more miles to pay your truck off... Good luck friend!!

missouritrucker Thanks this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I doubt you'll clear $0.35 cents per mile. Good luck. Sounds like a total rip off.

Dna Mach and insertnamehere Thank this.
  5. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Do you want a honest opinion or have you made up your mind? All the experienced drivers said the pay was to low. And I feel they are outright lying about the miles, 2300 to 2500 is all you'll get. $0.90 a mile is highway robery. Did you do any research before you agreed to this? If there was any profit to be made in this they wouldn't be trying to sell you a 10 year old truck and a dream. I hope I'm wrong it doesn't look or sound any good.

rckbottom Thanks this.
  6. Jamicanexpress

Jamicanexpress Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Dayton Ohio
    That is a very positive thing to say to him. Hopefully he will show he got what it takes . My friend worked for equity and made 90cents per mile on a 2007 freighliner and got her end payments down to about 18,000 and went to finance company and put up 5,000 dollars and they bought the truck from the company and she makes the payment to them directly and now she pays monthly and reaps all the benfits and she did all this in a year and a half so it's possible for him to own his truck

missouritrucker Thanks this.
  7. tazman74

tazman74 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Albert Lea, Mn
    Sounds like a new dart l/o.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    $270/week * 52 weeks/year = $14,040/year you're paying for a 10 year old freightshaker. If the term of the lease is more than 2 years, you're overpaying for a truck that's probably been L/P'd out a dozen times already.
    $140/week * 52 weeks/year = $7280/year seems awful steep for plates, ifta, trailer rental, and insurance....especially considering the low mileage rate they are offering.
    $.15/mile * 10-12K miles/month = $18,000-$21,600/year. You could overhaul the engine and put 10 new Michelins on the truck every year and still have enough left over for oil changes and such...in other words, not much of a "warranty". You're paying for it whether you need it or not, and when you don't need it, you lose it.

You still have employment taxes (you now pay the FULL amount...company no longer pays 1/2), workers comp (occupational accident) insurance, health insurance, no 401K with employer match, no paid vacations, no breakdown pay, no hotels paid for when the truck is in the shop, etc., etc., etc.,...you're on your own for all of that, and you're going to cover it all on just $.90/mile + fsc? That fsc isn't going to cover the full cost of fuel, so a good chunk of that is going into the fuel tank. If you want to pay yourself $.40/mile with the same benefits as you'd had as a company driver, you'd better be planning to set over half of that $.90/mile aside as "driver pay"...which really doesn't leave much to operate your business.

I just don't see this going well. Good luck to you, though...

9. Jamicanexpress

Jamicanexpress Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Dayton Ohio
    How do u like pulling for landstar

10. Braylean

Braylean Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    It's not dart, they pay $1 per mile. .90cpm is doable if the fuel s/c is there and you know what your doing. With a decent fuel s/c you should be able to clear a grand easy as low as the payments are.

11. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    This is the problem right here. Clearing a grand a week is not a good thing unless you are a company driver. There's no way that should be considered a good week for a o/o or l/p.

ramblingman and Dna Mach Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.