Starting a new service truck company

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mobile tech, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Mobile tech

Mobile tech Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2018
    I have been a mechanic for over 10 years a forman for the last two and ive grown tired of my employment ive noticed a huge lack of after hours service in my area and want to tackle that market my question is how do I get the phone ringing

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Contact local dealers and service locations in person and leave a card for possible source for road call service. With any luck half may add you to their call list to give to call ins for breakdown. Perform quality work at a fair price. Soon you will have more wheels turning than you can handle. Consider contacting larger fleets such as Penske, Rider ect to let them know the area you are covering.

Plaster or wrap your service vehicle with contact info and put a CB in it.

Obove all make sure your ready. Nothing worse than having to call road services, plus a tow when they cant fix it.

Be safe out there, seen and heard the worst of many roadside tragedy's. It's not for everyone. Be prepared to hang it up and go back to the shop.

4. Mobile tech

Mobile tech Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2018
    A lot of my career has be mobile I'm prepared for that if I can't fix it minimal charge and a good recommendation rare and thank you for the tips

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Put lots of disco yellow lights on top an back of truck, the nearest scale house will be a $$$ maker for you just put lots of cards at it and stop back inside to put out more cards every time you are near it.

6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I there's truck stops in your area ask if you can put up a huge notice.
    Although some like TA don't allow 3rd party work on their property.

If there's warehouses in the area do the same.
    I hate waking up to cards stuck in my window but , I always keep the independent road side service ones.

Rideandrepair and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    A new mobile service guy started up nearby about 4 or 5 years ago. He used to go hang out around truck stops in the area and chat up the drivers and hand out his business card. Took a little while for his business to get a good hold on enough work to keep him busy, but when i last talked to him probably 6 months or so ago, he is swamped with work now.

Rideandrepair and driverdriver Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    That reminds of a guy over in Ohio who started out hussling warehouses fixing trailers , the warehouses started calling companies and giving them his info for trailer repairs and mobile truck mechanic.
    He now has that and a two bay shop now.
    Biglugz Findlay,oh
    I got work done there years ago.
    When he first opened that shop

By the way I found that guy by typing in truck repair near me on Google maps, lol.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I find road service techs when I'm broke down on an app called "Find Truck Service"

See how you can get listed on that App.

Rideandrepair and driverdriver Thank this.
  10. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    If I were in your situation I would go talk to every trucking company in the area you want to service. Lots have their own guys for work but lots rely on guys like you also.

I would try to secure a couple deals with carriers - where you pop into drop yards and small terminals to do PM stuff and crysheet items, while being available for the emergency stuff. Eventually word will get out and you'll be swamped with the emergency stuff

11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Been there done that. Times have changed.
    I put business cards on the boards at truck stops and such. Also did local company work. The best money was in service calls. The best customers were major carriers and brake down companies. They were often charge accounts. Other than that get paid with Com Checks, Green Backs, T Checks etc. Get the conformation number before the rig leaves. Adds say you can get paid with card on your phone now.
    Get basic insurance ASAP.
    Ask the parts counter guys about call outs. Had some that would come out for a fee.
    Pm me an E mail address. Thank I still have an old customer list.
    Don't talk ugly about anybody else to get business. Even some dealerships will turn over some calls to someone with good relations. Send stuff to them as well.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.