Starting cdl school swift as first job

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Drpparker95, May 19, 2017.

1. Drpparker95

Drpparker95 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Hello i am starting my cdl class in a few months and i am looking at swift,Schneider,kllm and also howard transportation as my first driving job. Im thinking Schneider and swift as my first two options unless i decide to go flatbed then ill do howard. Im just here to get some opinions on swift in east Mississippi

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Chinatown may have some better suggestions for ya, if you're open. Other than that, best wishes, man.

4. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Ive already talked to Chinatown and for my age and lack of experience those are my best options in my area

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Gotcha. Really, I've got nothing against Swift. Were I twenty something and starting out, I'd consider them myself greatly, as well. Then again, if I started all over; I'd probably rather go flatbed. Sometimes it's better to go OTR with vans and reefs for awhile before jumping to flats or tanks (like I drive...) just to learn the ropes...... THEN you can learn the product part.

I believe (read somewhere?) that after 6 months with Swift, you can request to go with their flatbed division.

I'm not of the species of people that hate on Swift, by any means.

Best wishes, man!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ps: KLLM is trying to go ALL L/P for the most part; so I hear. I'd nix that idea. Don't know Howard, at all.

SNI is pretty strict.... .they don't tolerate mistakes real nicely. Wouldn't hire me ten years ago, even though I had 10 years experience in an 18 wheeler, due to a speeding ticket~! I'm actually glad I didn't get on with them. They are quite picky; ask @Thull .

Being young and "green" (pardon the expression,) Swift (or Howard? don't know them) would be my 1st choice, were I you.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Howard is a small flatbed private outfit in laurel. Im looking at swift due to alp the different divisions and options. Mostly just looking for some thoughts on swift. Biggest concern do they allow 12 volt refrigerators

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Yep ... Somebody else can confirm, but I understand they will also install a 1500w inverter on company truck and the new trucks come with one.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I've heard similar. I think you may have to "purchase" the inverter, and have them do the install, or they take it out of your paychecks.

10. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Ok so quick question how does swift training work after getting my class a license through a private school. I know they told me before they'd train me to get my cdl but I'd sign a 2 year contract. With me going through a community college to get my cdl then would i still have to go to Memphis to train

11. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @scottied67 .... didn't you drive for them at one point? @Thull ?? Gonna have to wait on Swifties to chime in on that one... someone will be along.

The questions you ask are good ones.... and personally I think it your best bet. Screw the haters; do your job well and carry on!

Thull and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.