Starting company for a rookie

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Fuelinmyveins, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Fafsa isn't available for cdl training in that school. They only help vets or their family members. Everyone else needs to pay with cash, credit card, get a loan or try careerlink assistance program.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Not sure how true that is, but apparently they have recruiters coming in from Mclane, Sysco, Nfi and some other decent companies coming to class. The guy I used to work with got a job at Mclane right after he got his CDL.

4. Sprintman21x

Sprintman21x Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Go with wdt transport great school and teachers. Ask for the Bryan location, only 3000 for the school, they pay for everything. Just have to haul milk for a year or two.

5. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    I might be able to get all the money that I need and sign up for the class that starts on the first week of January. Will call the school tomorrow to see if they still accepting students for January. The waiting is killing me

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most schools don't have the foodservice companies recruiting. That's OK. You can make good money with those companies and there's lots of manual labor involved, but the paychecks are good.

7. JoshJ713

JoshJ713 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Shinnston WV
    I’m looking for a company or school in or around West Virginia so I can obtain a class a cdl. I never drove a standard and would love to be OTR. Want a place that trains THOROUGHLY so I can have the knowledge when I break out on my own.

Josh

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Majority or all schools train in stick shifts; usually 10 speeds. Even companies that have all automatic fleets, train on 10 speed stick shifts.
    Tyson Foods - hires from private cdl schools and hires in West Virginia. Make over $60K there with no problem.
    [​IMG]

Contract Freighters (www.cfidrive.com) - has their own cdl school and a good reputation with their drivers. It's a coast to coast dry van company.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plan ahead! If money is tight right now, you can plan ahead and get a start by planning to get by until that first paycheck.
    Get a flexible duffle bag, not a rigid suitcase, and fill it with foods that can be microwaved. Microwave use is free at truck stops and hotels where you might stay during school.
    Ramen Noodles
    Instant coffee
    oatmeal
    soups (don't forget a can opener)
    Get an oversized sleeping bag and pillow. You can use sheets after you are assigned your own truck. When your trainer is driving and you're sleeping, you must be on the bottom bunk where the trainers linen will probably be. This way you unroll your sleeping bag and use it, then when you through sleeping, just roll it up and stow it away.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm imagining all the good ole boys. Proudly proclaiming to their friends: "I drives a giant boobie!"

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go back to sleep!
    How's school going?

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.