Starting cpm for NJ / NY

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Artness, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Artness

Artness Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Hello. I have gotten the Hazmat, triples and tank endorsements. I applied for the tank division at Schneider since they would allow me to come back weekly.

I had a phone interview and found out I cannot do the job because I can't lift 90 lb over chest level. The cpm for that was 45. Then inquired about something where I would haul carpet. They pay 34 cpm. I understand one is Hazmat and the other isn't.

What is the starting cpm for a new driver? Would it be more beneficial for me to for something that does require Hazmat? Would I get more cpm in such a case?

Thabk you for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    I don't concentrate on CPM
    What about Schneider van or intermodal?
    Would you rather have $1 x 100 miles per day or $0.40 x 500 miles?
    Schneider is a great place for new graduates to start. JB Hunt is hiring veterans with no experience in case you have a military background. Otherwise they require 3 months minimum exp.
    I'm guessing the carpet work is at Braun's?

4. Artness

Artness Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    They told me its from some company they recently acquired. No veterancy. Their intermodel requires 12 months experience.

5. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    That might be Watkins Shepard.
    Since you have hazmat, tank, and triples you might have a shot with a LTL carrier such as Estes or YRC.

Artness Thanks this.
  6. Artness

Artness Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I have applied to yrc since they told me they have a waver for the Hazmat. I don't have it yet. I was told I passed 3 of 3 background checks and I can get the interm license. But yrc wouldnt take because of that. At the same time the terminal I applied at tells me they need drivers and to apply since I am getting Hazmat soon.

7. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    do many companies hire in New York as I cant see it being a freight lane compared to a driver who lives in the Midwest

8. Artness

Artness Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    No. Not many. I called up most companies I found here and they said it's outside of the hiring zone. Some companies said there are jobs out there because it can get cold.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.