Starting my career at Millis

Discussion in 'Millis' started by 338-Dark-Knights, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 338-Dark-Knights

338-Dark-Knights Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I've been on this board for about a week and have been searching for about a month - times a slipping - pulling the trigger. This is something that I've dreamed about since I was a kid, and contemplating for about the last 10 years.

Tonight I took that plunge and sold my car to come up with the cash for enrollment. No turning back. Kids are dependent on my ability to provide.

I have the support (baring tragedy) at home to be OTR and learn the ropes, but it's not the first time a taking a plunge into the depths of the unknown. Six weeks of basic # Lackland AFB and almost a year of follow-on training under my belt gives me confidence; the fact that I love to drive - the bigger, the better. Only once have I been cross country in a 24' Penske from ATL to Readmond, WA in four days; loved it (aside sleeping in the cab two of the four nights).

I'm scheduled for training # Cartersville for March. Reserved my seat tonight. Looking here, if anyone else is on the ticket for that month? I've got to get my DOT card (CVS - $59, no appointment necessary, just print out the long form from FCSMA and bring it with you) and my CDL permit (been studying for two + weeks).

A few supplies and I should be good to go - six weeks starting today, and counting down. Thanks to Sully, Spanky, and Baritone on here for all the posts - most informative. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the big open road.

Now, off to bed with this head cold that's nagging me for the past couple days. Night + Happy/Safe Trails everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. M2k

M2k Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Covington,Georgia
    Whats going on dark knights i just applied to millis,good luck!
    Was march the soonest you could have started, or did you choose that date?

4. Bear63

Bear63 Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Northern KY
    Congrats! There are plenty of us on here should you have any questions. I hope you enjoy your new career.

5. 338-Dark-Knights

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Bear - Thanks man - You rock.

M2k - If I could have, I only wish; but maybe something will come-up and my number will be pulled? As it stands - since I chose Cartersville, (being that I live with-in 30 minutes) I guess I might have had an opportunity for an earlier date. However, my finances (rather lack thereof) dictate that I skimp where I can (hotel). Two gallons gas # $7 a day vs. $25 and sharing a room... ya sure I'll be driving an hour each way:biggrin_25524:, lol.

Update - $240 spent today (like a camel through water), reinstated my Class 'C' for the upgrade to test out on my written for 'A'... 2/3 of the test went ok... choked it on question 15 of 20 with five incorrect # combination test... Some little bird told me that since I'm not driving a bus, I shouldn't need study that part of the exam.. WRONG! 'There are more/less/the same amount of pre-trip inspection checks for a combination vs. bus?' I'm thinking - well it's no matter know, WRONG was my answer. My question to the examiner afterwords was something to the effect of what is this doing on the test if I'm only interested in driving OTR??? Her reply - ready for this? - You should have read the ENTIRE book.

One question - Does a space man know what's to check off on a submarine? I doubt it - but hey, they're both modes of transportation, right?

I'll be retaking it tomorrow, and looking very, very carefully for the NOT questions (let one slip in there, all ####y and confident, I KNOW the ANSWER - First clue was the other answers were both correct... second ... A BIG 'NOT' in the question... and since when did I become a speed reader?? grrr :mumum:

CVS - btw - minuet clinic - charges $50 for the long form, yes... there's fine print... the dip test for your urine (not the drug screen, the other) another $14..

Got a hair cut, bought an overpriced mag light combo pack (taking it back for the one I found today - applying the $10 difference to my written exam tomorrow). Anyone know where I can get a reflective pants/jacket rain gear cheap?

6. M2k

M2k Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Covington,Georgia
    How does the living arrangements go while training at millis ,is that something that's out of pocket and how much is it and where?

7. Ryeman

Ryeman Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    338 you don't need a drug test only the long form and physical card. Your drug test will be given to you on the first day of orientation. Take your exam slow and don't rush, you will get it. Congrats on making it to training . Just get our truck numbers and look for us while in training.

8. Ryeman

Ryeman Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    M2k hotel is paved back out of your checks. So that adds another $10 for hotel to the $20 for the remaining $2000 for training. So a total of $30 out if each check. Trust me you won't even notice it is gone. If you figure in the 1 cent raise we get in Apr. Your training and hotel is free.

9. Ryeman

Ryeman Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    DDarn cell auto cirrect. should read payed not paved

10. Ryeman

Ryeman Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    ugggggggg #%##& stupid phone lol

11. 338-Dark-Knights

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I didn't pay for the drug test - Yes it's done at orientation. I paid for the dip test (glucose levels & etc.) And yes the hotel comes out to $10 extra a week, but I'm not sure if you have an option of bunking with another person or not so that may or may not double the time to pay back the advance for lodging.. $59 a night vs. 1/2 for two to share the room, but I believe it still comes out $10/week reguardless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.