Starting my own brokerage

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ymftb, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    When someone doesn't know what t do, he won't last. I compare it to me saying that I want to be a Brain Surgeon, how do I start?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    If no help is given to one who wants to start a brokerage cause they might cut the rate...does that also mean its not adviseable to help someone who wants to run independantly as an O/O under their own authority cause 'they might cut the rate'?? Give the guy a break here...hes asking honest questions...

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    The best break he could have is to work for a broker for a period of time and gain some experience.

5. Down the road

Down the road Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    He's using load link. He has "owner ops" ready to go.
    From the looks of his post,he has no customers of his own.
    Sounds more like a fly by night trucking company than a brokerage.

He is not saying " I want to set up a trucking company" but rather "I am starting a brokerage".

So if he's a "broker" then he will be a broker that is skimming off of a load board and re selling it........and that is called "double brokering".

What does double brokering do to rates?

6. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    Great advise! Kinda like a guy who just got his class 1 / CDL and wants to buy a truck to earn his first mile...better to drive/wreck someone elses truck...lol

7. itsneversafe

itsneversafe Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Victoria BC
    I may be reading it differently but I see him as saying he has a few o/o to dispatch to and purchased load link to sell the rest.

8. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    I musta totally missed that part wgere he 'purchased loadlink'...if his intent is to broker freight this way then thats totally not cool and I would definately call that double brokering. There is a chance maybe he signed up with loadlink for research purposes...?

9. ymftb

ymftb Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I am going to do it as itsneversafe said. I'm contacting some companies in order to get contracts. I'm not looking to screw people over, I'm just looking for any advice on how to go about getting loads and such.

10. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    The best way is to approach shippers directly...go to a warehouse n talk to someone in the transportation or logistics dept. Should be an easy go from there. 9 outa 10 will say no, but if yer persistant then it will pay off. Make sure you have a list of equipment with you when offering your services.

11. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013

Best of luck. Wear a helmet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.