Starting new driving job the 29th. Going with Marten.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by LooneyTune, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Hello everyone. Well I am starting orientation with Marten(the bluebirds) on December 29th(this upcoming Tuesday). I will be doing orientation out of Indianapolis. I've been driving 15 years now and absolutely hate changing jobs but felt it was not working out at all at my last employer.

I know some of you have had good things to say about Marten and some of you have had bad things about to say about them. But so far just from talking to my recruiter, I think things might go well here. They have really been helpful and understanding when the news came down about my Mom's liver cancer and plus the fact that they will reimbursement for the costs of the background check for putting my hazmat endorsement back on, the twic card, and renewing my passport. It had come down to between Marten and New Century Transportation and actually New Century was my first choice but....

For the thrid time after I applied for New Century and they said they hire out of Illinois and plus were impressed with my driving record(2 million miles safe driving, one speeding ticket(Ohio, big shock) and no late loads due to anything I did) then they turned around and said we can't hire you out of Illinois. So I went with my second choice here. I'm opening up this thread to let you know how things go. Next update will be coming next Tuesday. Wish me luck...

MacDriver48, MoneyCat and JustSonny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Good luck looneytune. I have talked to quite a few Marten drivers they frequent the same customers we do alot. Most talk pretty decent of them. The one thing I have heard from a few of them is you have to watch your paystub very close to make sure it is correct. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Good luck and have a merry Christmas.

LooneyTune Thanks this.
  4. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    Hope things work out for you driver. Marten seems to be a good company.

5. calitrucker1

calitrucker1 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2009
    los angeles,ca
    hey looneytune, good luck with the bluebirds. hope it happens for ya. good luck!!!

6. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Thanks. I'll keep you all updated. I don't like changing jobs at all but like I said if I had stayed where I was I'd be in the poorhouse. I mean staying out 3 weeks at a time and not even busting 2000 miles a week sometimes

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  7. calitrucker1

calitrucker1 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2009
    los angeles,ca
    i know what you mean. nobody likes to job-hop, sometimes you have no choice.

8. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    I was just curious if any current Marten drivers out there could tell me how often(on average that is) they see Canada or New York City. I know they're forced dispatch but I just curious how often I would expect to see those two locations?

9. riddlemethis

riddlemethis Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    My husband has been there for two months now and has yet to see either one.

10. LooneyTune

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Thanks. I was told less than 3 percent of their freight goes there. Canada doesn't bother me at all. NYC? Well most drivers don't like going there. I'm not crazy about it either but I'll go if the load needs to be covered, just as long as going to NYC doesn't become a "habit."

11. BigKid2

BigKid2 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been with Marten for 18 months and I have not been impressed. I wouldn't get the passport if I were you though. I got mine and they like to give any driver a load going to Canada just to let them run the miles off of it and then give it to a driver with a passportonce they get close to the border. Then that driver that don't have the passport gets the good load that you would of gotten but now you are stuck running the last 200 miles across the border into Canada after you do the PARS and wait for it to clear because they will not do it for you.

I have averaged about 2400 miles a week since I started there and do alot of sitting from Friday to Monday but I am OTR. My advice is to take 2 cents less per mile and do regional because they keep them moving alot better than they do OTR drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.