Starting new venture as an o/on

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kp21230, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Kp21230

Kp21230 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Just wanted to start a thread to show my journey as a new o/o. First, my name is Kevin and I’ve been driving for about 3 years now and recently got the opportunity to own a 2005 international 9400i with a Cummings Isx (freshly rebuilt) and 10 speed transmission (new clutch). The truck was my uncles first truck and he’s willing to sell it to me for 16000 only because that was the price of the rebuilt. I will be leasing on to a company that does dedicated amazon loads I have been working for them as a company driver for a couple of months and rented one of their trucks for 3 weeks to see how much I would make weekly as an o/o for them. Most of the routes are home daily with a few of them you have to stay one night out. The maximum mileage a day is 300 and it’s all drop and hook and trailers weigh no more than 20000lbs. For the 3 weeks I rented it the week was all local and after all expenses I took home 3200 with 1800 miles loaded and 40 miles deadhead the following was a mix of local and regional and after expenses I took home 4000 with 2200 miles. The company I’m leasing on is fairly small with 5 truck mostly o/os so I’m not worried about not getting work. This is my first time ever doing a forum post I’ve read countless post and topics on this site and have an idea of what to expect as an o/o if anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it.

D.Tibbitt and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Welcome. Good luck. Buid a reserve.

kemosabi49 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I always heard amazon loads will make u go broke, but that sounds like a good gig u have. Good luck to u . Lots of good information on this site about being an owner op and if u ever got problems with ur truck dont be afraid to post something, lots good mechanics in here

kemosabi49, Dino soar and feldsforever Thank this.
  5. Kp21230

Kp21230 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Thank you for the responses I will be going to pick up the international today. And also I’m from the north east region (Massachusetts). I have read that the amazon loads don’t pay but I think that’s the load board that amazon has which I will not be using the routes I do amazon sends them weekly to the company I’m leased to and the owner just assign the loads to each driver he has. We don’t use any load boards or anything like that and I think amazon pays different depending on where you live also I’m not too sure

6. Kp21230

Kp21230 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    I will post some pictures later when I get it

7. Kp21230

Kp21230 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    What’s a good reserve to build I was thinking about 15000 i dont know if that’s too much or too little and the truck has a one year warranty on the rebuilt and transmission

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    What are your fixed operating costs per mile including your salary and benefits?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    So your based out of mass? May I ask who you went through for insurance? I’m in ma as well and got quoted pretty high, Curios to see where you stand.

thanks

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    It may be awhile for a response ;-)

One thing that is crucial (stating the obvious) is knowing what your operating costs will be, as best you can, BEFORE you start a business.

It has to be set up as a business with a reasonable expectation of what it's going to cost INCLUDING a salary, plus benefits, or else you may as well shelf the idea until you know.

If one goes to a bank seeking financing or a line of credit, that bank is going to want a solid business plan, etc.

I've seen and talked to many guys in this industry who find an easy way into so-called owner operator status and yet have no idea what their real costs of operations even are.

I've lost count of the blank stares I've gotten after asking that question...

This is one reason why I'm so critical of these trucking companies who are more then willing to give a "lease operator" the rope to hang themselves with.

In spite of what some people think, flying by the seat of your pants is not wise or very much fun.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  11. Kp21230

Kp21230 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2019
    Sorry for the delay in answers but my fixed monthly operating cost monthly (insurance, truck payment,) is 1500. For benefits such as health insurance dental and vision I get through my wife. I planned on paying myself 1000 before taxes a week to cover my bills and expenses and for retirement I’m doing 50$ a week to start with 3 percent match from my llc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.