Starting out with small reefer fleet?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Kavya, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Kavya

Kavya Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Hi everyone, My name is Kavya. I am 24 years old and looking to get into the trucking business in Canada. I want to specialize in Reefer loads as it is recession proof. I want to know if LTL would be more profitable compared to FTL considering I will be starting with 2-3 small trucks. I do not have experience in the trucking industry so I would love all the help I could get :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Did you know trucking is over 100 years old and in that time frame many major companies raise and fall.
    So my question is what makes you special other then having no idea what your planning on doing
    What will make you stand out from every other big and small company hungry to just stay a float

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Jump right into the straight truck segment . According to the internet you’ll get rich. I hear dump trucks in Toronto and containers in Vancouver are other areas where you thrive too .

5. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Nothing in trucking is recession proof. Yes food/refer products will always need to move. But when other major segment of the industry slow down and the big'ins like Bison, Challenger and such suddenly have a couple hundred trucks needing work suddenly your recession proof segment become saturated with trucks looking for work.

upnorthwpg and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Trucking is not even close to recession proof. Maybe in the broader economy , trucking can survive thru any recession. But the trucking market moves in cycles just like anything else.

Ol'Shusquatch Thanks this.
  7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Sorry, but your doomed to fail right out of the gate. Learn about an industry before you dump money in and go bankrupt.

Ol'Shusquatch and homeskillet Thank this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Buy three trucks and start looking for loads to fill them. What could possibly go wrong?

9. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    The word.... bankrupt.[/QUOTE] That would imply that one first had a bank behind this sound business plan/venture. Unless at age 24 there are oodles of money, already sitting securely in a bank account.

Are you still there Kavya?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.