Starting training Monday

Discussion in 'PAM' started by memphisjon, Nov 13, 2008.

1. memphisjon

memphisjon Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Millington, TN
    Start training in Newport on Monday the 17th. Decided to go with PAM. Kind of nervous but looking forward to it also.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Good luck with it, keep us posted, and Welcome to the Forum!

4. dislinwhixie

dislinwhixie Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Birmingham AL
    Well, not exactly starting officially. Waiting on "the packet" from PAM/DS to get the lowdown. This site, and especially this forum helps a lot. I'm leaving the IT field to do this. IT is drying up in this economy, and I can't wait around for it to pick back up. Mortgage and such, you know? I figure if it was good enough for Elvis and Red Sovine, it's good enough for me.

I've been told that (if I sign up) I'll be training in Little Rock. I haven't seen a lot about that facility as far as trainers go. I do know that AR will transfer to AL (home) without re-testing. I'm a complete newbie to this, though I have run a lot of road miles doing on-site computer repair, sometimes 300+ miles per day (at .33/mile in my own car, no gas reimbursement). At least I know how to read street signs and drive like a sane human being.

I've seen posts encouraging you to study before you start the school, but where does one find the material to go over? Any help with that would be appreciated.

40 years old, and walking away from something I've done for the last 20 years, on and off. My last chance to start over, and I want to make sure I do this right. I do want to retire at some point.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  5. memphisjon

Nov 13, 2008
    Millington, TN
    Sorry the update took so long. Training got pushed back until the 24th. We are taking the test for the CDL permit at one, hope I pass. Will keep you updated about training and the school.

6. crazyray

crazyray Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2007
    arcadia LA
    I completed program there last Oct, things progress very fast there not sure if its same as when went but we had option to go out at night with a instructor for extra behind the wheel time, took avantage of this every time I could, I would rate them fairly high in instructors ability just focus and it will be easy. Pam has treated me fairly for the time I been with them would give them a B+ but that just been my experience know some that have had horror stories.:biggrin_25525:

7. memphisjon

Nov 13, 2008
    Millington, TN
    Passed all my written tests fairly easily. Came home for turkey day. Start on the range on Friday. Will keep you updated.

8. memphisjon

Nov 13, 2008
    Millington, TN
    Graduated on Friday and waiting on PAM to hook me up with a trainer.

9. I Left

I Left Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh.
    Hey welcome and I wish you the best. I think I made a good choice joining PAM and would do it again.
    Their are plenty of great posts here with advice. I recomend you read them if you already have not. Here are a few things i will throw out their for ya. In no particular order of importance;
    1. Learn how to work the Qualcom. That's the thing in the truck that gives you info on your loads. Get in the habit of responding to the things your suppose to.
    2. Plan ahead. Where will you be at 5 or 6pm during rush hour traffic? Time it so you don't hit the bigger cities then. Get a gps and use it. Compare it's directions to your company directions and to a good map. You should know where your going before you leave.
    And speaking of maps, you should check the front of your truckers map for low bridges, weight requirements (weigh stations, be aware and don't miss them) etc.
    Also...are you going to park your truck at 10pm? Harder to find a good parking spot so start looking early and don't run out of hours.
    Where are you going to go after you get unloaded? Some of the customers lots are small and you can't just sit there. When your getting loaded or unloaded, that is a good time to plan your next move, check log book, map, etc.
    You get the idea.
    3. Get a place to keep your paperwork. I keep my logs in a folder and the bills in a box. After I transflow (kind of like a fax, usually at Pilot or Loves) I file the paperwork away and move on.
    4. Get some tools. A flashlight, gloves, broom for sweeping out the trailer. A crow bar is good to get nails up. A cooler to keep some food and cold drinks. Camera. Paper towells. Wrench and screwdrivers. Wire cutters, some of the seals are metal. Alarm clock. Cell phone is one of my best friends. Wireless bluetooth if you can afford the 99 dollars. CB radio. White out.
    5. Some cash. You'll have to pay some of the tolls, like in OK. Save the receipts and send em in. $40 bucks put away for scales and such should do the trick.
    6. Keep phone numbers handy. When you get started you'll get a little book with all the company numbers you'll need. Put it where you can find it. I bought one of those pouch things at the auto center at WalMart and put it over the passenger seat. It holds a lot of stuff and is within easy reach.
    7. I bought one of those pocket fuel books that have all the truck stops in em. It helps me plan ahead. One of the CAT scale listings helps too. You can get em at most truck stops. The cat scale things are free.
    8. Know what time zone your in. Your watch (and logs) will probley set to central time zone. But if your load is due in Newark, Nj at 9 am, you'll have to be there by 8 central time. It will be 9am eastern. Does that make sense? Therefore, if your headed east you will lose an hour. Plan.
    9. If your new to trucking here's a tip for you. Keep everything nailed down. lol. You're not driving a Town Car and some roads are so uneven stuff falls over. A tv turn is when your making a turn and hit a bump so big the tv goes flying out of the bunk. It happens.
    10. Get a good pair of sunglasses. If you wear eyeglasses WalMart has sunglasses called Go Overs. You put them on right over your eyeglasses. They are ugly but they work. I like them better than clip ons.
    11. Hide a spare key near the engine or somewhere outside the truck so you don't get locked out. NOT on the trailer, duhhh. lol
    12. SAFETY. Question...what is the best way to avoid a backing accident? Answer...avoid backing whenever possible!
    Here is the best advice I can give you. When starting out develop good safe driving habits (Smith system of driving) and don't waver.
    After a few months you will get very comfortable in that truck and might be temped to put the seat back and your foot up, talk on the cell phone, read maps, play with the Sirus radio or gps....all kinds of stuff except driving safely. Without using a reference I can sit here right now and tell you that you should, aim high in steering, see the big picture, keep your eyes moving, leave yourself an out, and make sure the other guy sees you. That's exactly what you should be doing. Don't waver.

Well, that's a few thoughts I wanted to pass along. I'm sure I left a lot out and you can learn a lot more from the other drivers. Good luck and be safe.
    I Left

hxred81, Fooman, ScooterDawg and 4 others Thank this.
  10. memphisjon

Nov 13, 2008
    Millington, TN
    Thanks for the tips Ileft. I need all the help that I can get! Actually going with AFS and waiting to hear from them about trainer. Will keep you updated.

11. Fooman

Fooman Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I saw a new PAM tractor today, Cascadia, pretty nice (for them). I would say a step up from the last ones, thats good news I guess.:biggrin_25519:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.