Starting truck in -20 Celcius

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Randhawa.56, Dec 6, 2021.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good batteries you can crank 25 seconds no problem. Give the starter a 2 or 3 minute cool off. Wouldn't go more than 2 or 3 attempts.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s why, the Lucas is thick. Two gallons you’d be much worse. If you can’t plug it in. I’ve used my 1400w generator to plug in block heater. But it’s not needed. You need cranking power. It should still start. Hook up cables, wait 20 minutes at least, 30 is better. If it doesn’t crank enough after 20, you’ll have to try 30 anyways. Best to hammer another Semi, or 2 cars/pu Trucks. If only 1 vehicle available, 2 sets of cables helps also. Hook both to car, then Truck. Good Luck, it’ll start. I had the same problem. New batteries for me. Cranked it up at 10, 0 windchill. Won’t hurt it just a dry start, like after an oil change. IMO. I’m sure it’s just awful, like using ether is. I used 2 cans also, since I had lost prime or gelled or both. It’s running excellent. Must be the ether, Lol. Cleans all the spot off the pistons. Lol

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I always have this vision of the bearings tearing down on a cold start like that. I guess I need to equip myself with a block heater at least.
    The Tripacs with install at Thermo King are quoted for $13 700 - something to think about.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    A webasto heater is cheaper and does the same thing for cold starts, also lighter and quieter, and if the cab is properly inulated more than good enough for anything your not going to shut the truck off for

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You mean Webasto heater would do the task of the block heater? I don't know...I have a webasto heater and once it drained the batteries while the temperature outside dropped overnight from the mid-30s to 15F and I could not start it. It was a TA so they gave me a jump but don't use Webasto at below 30s.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Block heaters cheap, 2 bolts

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    A torpedo heater, even a wood or charcoal small fire under the pan. A couple propane torches, If it’s metal

TallJoe Thanks this.
  9. Fishface

Fishface Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2022
    windchill can not affect anything ever. it is a made up stat to configure how temp and wind feels on a persons skin

Rideandrepair and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Oil still flows when cranking.

11. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Thats why I have agm's and 2 of em are deep cycle I can run my heater for a weekend and it starts easy afterwards, I am coming up with a solar setup so I can park indefinitely, and keep the heater running and charge the batteries. If I can swing it I might put a bank of lithium batteries in the sleeper and install a 12 volt air conditioner also and run that for 2 days, it helps that I have my sleeper apart right now and the interior is out and I am redoing the insulation in and rewiring everything

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.