Starting with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by tonkatruck, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tonkatruck

tonkatruck Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    I thought I would do this cause when I went looking for Info on what it was like from Day one, what you went through, what you do ect. I could not find details, so here goes....

I start (newbe) Jan.12th in Greenbay, I choose to fly out from columbus ohio ($200.00)(2 hr) vs Greyhound (98.85)(18+hrs) They will payback the price of the Ticket.. I have meet a few people inperson, my trainer ( this guy knows his s@#t. very laid back, very funny.and has been with them for years.:biggrin_25514:I meet D.M. very nice guy seems to know and understand his job (but I'm new at this lol ) Safty manager way kool..has his hands full and tells you like it is.:biggrin_2558: and my recruiter.. top notch and a stand up guy..

This company seems to really care. from all the driver I have come across about 10-12 so far from all over..

I have done alot of work checking out companys.. If they can do a back ground check on me, I should do one on them (right ?)

I think that anyone looking for a company should check them out all the way from talking to truckers to looking at thier fiancial's (do a google for god sake).

Gordon fit all of my needs and more !!! I want to stay woth a company not get a year in then run to the next and so on ..

In my life I have had 5 jobs and only 2 in the last 21 yrs.. not bad.. lol I'm 45 now. I feel that in the long run it pay's to stay ( I'm just saying)..

So; what I'm going to do is keep a log here about my career with Gordon. and I hope all new hires will get a feel of what is going to take place and who knows it might be funny( the world needs a laugh:biggrin_25523:. so the next update will be soon thanks gang !!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Tonkatruck, Good luck to you. Keep a positive attitude and an open mind. Learn from your trainer, listen to the safety manager, and when you solo keep good, open communication with your D.M. I will look forward to reading your posts.

tonkatruck Thanks this.
  4. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    Hi gang, here is a tip and an update, Keep in touch with them, for the last 2 weeks I have call or they called me every couple day's to see how things are going and if anyone needs anything (info , paper work ect. ) and everyone is on the same page ... from Trainer to safety to recruiter to me, that gives you a sense of relief , and alot less to worry about,

the only thing I am worried about is the flight out there (weather, delay's ect.)

I'm heading out on moday be there monday around noon. lots of time to spare .
    C-ya:yes2557:

5. liteguy

liteguy Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Tonka, Gordon is a company that I am considering also. I am also your age w/ 3 jobs in 26 years. I know they are tight right now on hiring and will only consider top applicants so I hope this will help me. I will be reading your posts and hope your experience with them is great, not alot of choices for us newbies. Although I would be going to a different location, Fontana, Ca. I think, I will be reading often-Liteguy

tonkatruck Thanks this.
  6. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    I have come across 2 trainers so far and both have got alot of knowldge.. yea they don't take too many from what I understand, but, that is good cause the turn over rate from what I can find is low. and I have check thier back ground (financials) and they are very strong. and are growning slowly (not super fast )

I'll keep you updated
    :biggrin_25525:

7. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    OK. day one is all done, I signed less papers when I bought my house lolo:biggrin_2559: lots of paper and ton's of books ...I'm going to have plenty to read tonight wow.. A hint for all newbies bring; CDL ,and the real app you filled out, SS card the real one, any school records you may have , and relax

The hotel got me there 1 and a half hours late,, they got lost (turns out it was 1 mile away )..lol

I will head out with the trainer wed. and I do all the driving from here on out...I'm ready !!!! giter done

If anyone has a question please ask,.

8. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    Hey, I'll tell you this, my but is tired my arms are tired my eyes are tired.. Drove from Green Bay to indy. then to portland Ten. now moving on to Greenbay.....

The shifting under a load (79600) total OH GOD what a differance..my trainer has got a lot of grey hair now lol Great man !!

more tip's Do not sit on your wallet, relax your arms.. The trucks you test in at school are JUNK, the real ones you have to feel them (gears) rpm's not as high in a real truck lolol

This job is what I what I thought ans wanted...you have to think !!! Plan,, and have to be flexable !!!!:biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

ok got to go up to Green Bay at noon.

see ya

9. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    hello I'm in Green Bay drove up here last night (560) getting better with the gears I guess..I think I suck but the trainer smiles say's relax don't worrie it will come to you..
    WHEN lolo my eye are the only thing real tired.... If anyone know how to help that please say somthing........
    Got a cool trainer and meet his wife very nice they are full of info and tips on this line of work:biggrin_25514:..now off to some place called "cabbiage run ?

see ya

snakeskin Thanks this.
  10. tonkatruck

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    well so far 3 day's of driving done, 1220 miles down, I know I can do more, but Tire checks , pretrips, post trips all the time take up time but are realy need to be safe.. so DO THEM... I have done night driving in fog now ( wow ) but feel better about it... some drop and hook ( boy I like that.. we are doing a reset on hour's now in Cedarfall Ia. and then off to OK. , another 675 to start out with..
    My trainer is showing better way's of driving and shifting that the school gave me.. So what you learn in school will work but, be ready to have an open mind on new things..it will help !!!!

ok I'm out see ya later:biggrin_255:

11. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    This is a great thread, tonka. I know GTI has a major freight lane on I5 between WA and CA, so naturally, being from Socal, I'm curious. I talked to a GTI driver one evening at a TA in Nocal and he's been there over 20 years and still says it's a good company to drive for.

MM71 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.