Starting with Roehl in February

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by RoseWild, Oct 14, 2016.

1. RoseWild

RoseWild Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hi all.

I was just offered to start with Roehl. Because my youngest is getting married in February, I didn't want to risk being on a haul around the time of her wedding. I let the recruiter know, and she seemed accepting. She said all I have to do is give her a call and I can start after my daughter's wedding.

My question is this.... as a female potential driver with Roehl, how are hotel arrangements made (will I be bunking with a man?). Also, after schooling when I get my OTR Trainer, what is the likelihood I will receive a female trainer? Can it be requested? Is this even something I should be concerned about?

I've just started on this forum today and have found most all of you to be kind and courteous. Thank you for your pending advice.

Also, if there are any females on this forum who could elaborate about life on the road as a trucker for women, that would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustMyBroom

DustMyBroom Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2016
    First, let me say that you don't look near old enough to be marrying off your youngest. It would not have surprised me if you said you were getting married in February.

Second, every company is different. I don't know of any that would put you in a room with a man, though, and it seems doubtful Roehl would either. That first impression is so very important to these companies, you see.

Third, most companies allow you to request what you want as far as things like smoking and gender of your trainer goes, but you usually get on a truck faster if you are willing to take the first available trainer. If you don't necessarily want to get in the truck with a guy who smokes, doesn't bathe very often, and has a pit bull who uses the truck for a bathroom, then tell them what you want, and be prepared to wait. If you get a trainer who you cannot get along with, just contact your advocate and ask to be put with a different one.

Fourth, take things one day at a time.

Hope this helps some.

Elkins93 and RoseWild Thank this.
  4. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thank you, DustMyBroom! I use a lot of coconut oil so even though I'm in my late 40's...alas, no wrinkles yet; knock wood.

I find it more calming to know that I can request a female trainer and get one, even if I have to wait a little longer.

It's just seems more appropriate being that shared space would be so confined and it would be less awkward for me bunking with another female.

Other than that, I think this career switch is perfect for me. I'm a loner by nature. I don't do the manicure thing on the weekends with the "girls". I'm not into gossip like most women seem to need. I would rather be alone in the woods for weeks at a time than go to a party once. And any time a road trip is taken, I'm always the driver and wouldn't have it any other way.

Driving is in my blood. Most of my family have been truck drivers. I guess I'm just a late bloomer. At this stage of the game, long haul driving is exactly what I need.

Thank you for your feedback!

5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Congrats on your new journey!

RoseWild Thanks this.
  6. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thank you, F250Jim! If it weren't for my daughters wedding in February, I'm pretty sure I would be moving on this right now.

Does anyone know if it's realistic to ask for a few days off in February or would that be out of the question being a newbie?

7. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    I would think they would gladly accomodate you, Rose. You give them enough notice, a couple of weeks, at least and your driver manager would have your back. You could start now, and take off the whole week of your daughter's wedding, unpaid of course. Communication is key. Best of luck. Some lucky guy is getting a beaut. Look at her momma!

RoseWild Thanks this.
  8. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thank you gntorres61! I'll give my recruiter a call Monday. I would love to start as soon as possible.

I've heard mostly good things about Roehl. The few bad reviews I have come across appear to be from disgruntled ex-employees who should never have taken the job to begin with.

And I appreciate the compliment!

9. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Well like the others I am not buying your age...Some people age like fine wine they get better with age...I age like Milk...LOL
    Just curious why you chose Roehl? There are other companies who pay more who are closer to you. Don't know anything PERSONALLY about Roehl, I did some time with Millis Transfer and they have a school in Cartersville Georgia, one of the higher starting pays in the industry. Know couple of the trainers personally and they are AWESOME...I am looking at starting with Jim Palmer after 1st of the year I didn't want to risk being in PNW during Christmas, I did 20+ yrs as a firefighter/Paramedic and ended up with essentially a broken back during a rescue at a structure fire, and thanks to some quick thinking and writting on the Worker's comp Dr. I was forced into retirement and don't get ANY PENSION...Best of luck in your adventure and see you on the road...Keep us posted...Look around this web site TONS of useful tools and information. I will help where I can.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  10. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thank you firemedic2817!

I'm overwhelmed in a positive way by all of the wonderful advice and offers to help.

What prompted me to consider Roehl before other companies is that they pay 500 a week during training and then 90 a day with the personal on the road trainer.

If there are other companies that do that, you're right, I should look into them.

I'm in upstate SC about 40 miles from Greenville. I would love to find a company near me who can match or exceed what Roehl offers.

As far as the age... I was born in 1969. I think my mother may have bottle fed me Oil of Olay as a tike!

My oldest is 26. I had another kid every year after that for 3 more years. 4 kids in all. 2 grandchildren. I'm not sure how much genetics has played a part in my lack of prune-age to my face. But I can bet you a million burritos that the coconut oil I use every day straight from the jar hasn't hurt.

Being 47 hurts my chances for a local job here. My work history goes back to 1986. That's a dead giveaway of my age. "Normal" jobs are looking for people who can do backflips.

Trucking, besides being something I've always wanted to do, is the only industry I've found where starting age doesn't matter. I think what matters to them is that one passes the DOT medical, passes the drug screen, isn't hindered by lack of appendages, has a clean driving record and a has no criminal record (or at least one void of felonies). If that's what it takes, I'm good.

Thanks again for your help! I am green, but I have drive, desire and the ability to learn. That's worth its weight in gold in my book.

11. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Rose, how often do you want to get home? How far out do you wanna go? How many miles per week? Maybe regional? 48 states? Maybe there are better alternatives. You might check out Cargo Transporters in Claremont NC. 10 miles east of Hickory. You will get weekly hometime, start around 40 cpm average 2200 miles per week. Trucks are AUTOMATIC TRANS and are nicely specd out with fridges 1800 watt inverter, DirectTV $7.00 /week. Free SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO. Blue Cross Blue Shield medical after 30 days. I sound like a recruiter. But in fact, I was let go a couple of weeks ago for multiple minor incidences. But, they did pay for my rental car home so I can't hate on them too bad. You will do some northeast, but since you are Blacksburg area I am guessing, you may get a little more midwest and southeast so they can get you home weekly for your reset. Best of luck to you. It is a really cool job. Hope I can get another gig. P.S. Not sure about training wages, but orientation is shorter, training about 8 weeks.

George

RoseWild Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.