Stay out for months or stick to minimum required?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by KNGPIN, Jul 10, 2019.

1. KNGPIN

KNGPIN Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Thanks. A few of those I had already checked out. The Nick Strimbu was new, I applied for the flatbed. At this point I feel like you're doing my homework for me. Think I got it from here. Thanks again though.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I doubt you can "bank" your days off. You should be able to bank your vacation time.

So, If you stay on the road a year straight with no home time dont expect to take months off. Not sure how it works at Melton, but someone has to pay for the truck sitting. If you want the home time you have to take it how they planned it or not take it at all.

Maybe you can take a few more days, a week or so.

bryan21384 and KNGPIN Thank this.
  4. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Melton never messed with my hometime besides getting me home a day late. Which you're not penalized for...

If you want two weeks off — and have it banked — you can take two weeks off. I knew a guy that would take the whole month of December off. How? He had it banked.

The catch? They may ask you to turn the truck into a terminal and move back into another truck when you come outta the house...

I regularly take 10-15 days off — never had an issue.

skellr and KNGPIN Thank this.
  5. KNGPIN

KNGPIN Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Yeah, I spoke to recruiter about it. She said I could bank and take off whatever I have banked however I coose to. Just reminded me that I wouldn't be getting paid for it.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, I've taken more than week off and came back to the same truck. Some of these company's will give the truck to another driver after three days and not care about what personal effects are left inside. Good to hear Melton doesn't do that.

7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I know...if you Think About it...6 weeks out (around 1,000 hours) 1200 a week ($7200) getting around 7 bucks an hour?

DTP Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    7 days out gets you 1 at home? That's a normal week for a trucker. Don't sacrifice your life with your partner and your children to get more time at home in a row. Typical driver works their 70, then goes home for the reset. That seems to be the acceptable norm for most.

KNGPIN Thanks this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    That's some funky math you've got there. I wouldn't consider off-duty time paid time, even if it's away from home. 6 weeks at 70 hours a week is 420 hours, which works out to just over $17/hour worked. That seems pretty typical for a new driver right out of school.

KNGPIN and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  10. KNGPIN

KNGPIN Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Yeah, I noticed that he counted every hour out during that 6 week span. So 24hr x 42days.

Here at school the first thing my instructor told us was not to get caught up in trying to figure out hourly anyway. Pay attention to the numbers on the check.

I've been doing my homework though. Have come across a few more opportunities. Some regional some local. Weighing all my options. More focused on passing this test tomorrow though.

11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well yes youre not Working Actually all the time...but youre Not really free...like at your own house.When youre camped out in your truck in Flagstaff. Youre still under their detention. But,yes if you just wanna count logged in hours.

KNGPIN and DTP Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.