steel haulers

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by sw6g, Jun 26, 2012.

1. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    The first 7 years I drove we hauled steel exclusively. Since that has been 16 years ago....was wondering if steel stil pays by the hundred weight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    We haul a lot of oversize loads, both over width and over height. Thanks to people that refuse to haul, or don't have the skills, the additional rate more than makes up for the issues we face. 5 years ago this was not necessarily the case. Today, many oversize loads pay more than the price I would quote...and I don't generally work cheap. Our drivers and contractors love it too because it boosts their pay without requiring much additional work. So by all means, everyone, please keep turning down the oversize loads.

bighaulc-15 Thanks this.
  4. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA

It varies, but there is less hundred weight pricing today than there was when I got into the business 13 years ago. It seems like things are still by the cwt in the rust belt with the old school steel shippers and their decendants. Outside the rust belt things seem to have gone to a per mile basis. Mills want to buy the truck, and not pay additional for 48K. jfaulk or les would probably be more knowledgable on this than I am.

5. bighaulc-15

bighaulc-15 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2012
    new albany IN
    thats what i want to get into , over waight , hight, width and lenth. have dome some heavy and over length but not much over width or hight so maybe one of these days i will get into it. hauled a piece to NJ and i was 94 feet stem to sturn.

6. Danny Frank

Danny Frank Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2018
    To me,serving 40 + years in flatbed operations...Steel Hauling is the most thankless and unappreciated of industries...

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    When the OP started this thread you only had 35 yrs in

Grubby, stwik, Highway Sailor and 3 others Thank this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    He had to wait and get that extra experience before he could give his opinion.

Grubby, stwik and rank Thank this.
  9. luddybuddy

luddybuddy Light Load Member

May 11, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Yes it still does. Some times it's a flat fee to go from a2b

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.