Steel Hauling pay for O/O

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RERM, Aug 15, 2014.

1. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    Well I haul steel currently as a company driver and I conversate with many owner ops who are very happy hauling for 2.75- 3.10 per mile base off 5-6 drivers.i spoken with. Most haul from southeastern region while we company drivers do the northern to Midwest areas. The steel business is good. I am waiting for my chance to get a truck and flatbed trailer and haul steel for myself

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Thank you very much OP and all that have responded! I found this thread by google searching, "steel hauling rates". Driving a Freightliner FL70 25' tandem (I have a class B) was one of my favorite jobs in my life. It was back in 1997 to 2001 though and I was paid 30% of the load driving someone else's truck...so I really don't remember what the rates were and I have no idea what to charge if I buy my own truck today. I do know I really really want to though! I read all of this very thoroughly and I am as nervous now as ever. LOL. I guess my biggest concerns are how to find loads and how much to charge. I will hauling in Ohio only....at least for a while. I have found getloaded and truckersedge so far.....oh and OOIDA. I am a teacher at heart and really appreciate the people in here trying to help others learn. It is exactly how I deal with people in my computer business. I don't just do...I eagerly teach anyone that wants to know! Well thanks again all and I really am looking forward to getting back behind the wheel. I am a little shocked at the lack of class B expedited flat bed jobs and that is what is making me want to do it on my own. I really enjoyed the "when you need it yesterday" type of flatbed loads....and we should have plenty of that in Ohio I think???

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  4. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    By expedited flatbed freight, do you mean hotshot work?

5. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    No.... dock high 25' tandem with 32k load limit....the hot shots are cool and all but not dock height and limited to 18k or so....

6. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Contacted a old friend with a steel slitting company today. Some examples: 22k @150 miles for 500.00. Yesterday 28k @ 200 miles for 600.00.

Short runs are flat rates.....waiting to hear back what price per 100#'s is on short hauls....

7. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    It looks like for me....in my situation (Class B straight dock high tandem)...a minimum charge of 350.00 and go up from there....

8. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Do you get significantly better MPG with the type of rig you are talking about? It seems like your costs would be similar to a normal class 8 rig. If so, your rates don't seem high enough to make money. Especially if you are planning to bounce back to get your next load. Also if you are in steel country, it seems like you might be able to do better on rates.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Yes class B 25 footers do get slightly better gas mileage...and I am seeing now that really the rates are posted on the loads with a little room for negotiation after some formula figuring. But those rates I posted are right from a shipper friend.....in another State though...but they are giving me a general idea.

I start dumps for a local guy Monday but I am really looking for flat to buy and get back in to steel!

10. Mytrucking352

Mytrucking352 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2021
    We are getting around 3.50 a mile hauling flatbed load back into Fl .

11. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Short haul, local loads are a day rate. The rate is a lot more than that, most O/O won't start the truck for that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.